New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 275 gallon tank in my basement with about 125 gallons of oil in it. I changed to natural gas so I'm looking for someone to remove the tank, oil and old disconnected boiler. I have Bilco doors out the back of the house so removal shouldn't be that bad.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Get ready to break out the check book. This work can be very expensive

Reactions: hunterdan199

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks. I've read about the nightmares of people having oil pumped into their basement.
I never understood that. I have heard about companies doing lots of times and even seen it a few times in person. But it shouldn't be possible if the driver is paying attention. As soon as I hook up to a tank I know within the first 2-3 seconds if there is a tank attached to the pipes inside or not. No whistle, no return airflow.

Mind you 2-3 secs at 80 gallons/min is still terrible, but I heave seen companies pump in 200 gallons before stopping. Somerset is too far for us otherwise we would do it.

See if somebody on the side will take the oil first. Will make it easier for somebody to do the job. Lots of people are running around on the side getting free oil if they can.

We tell people all of the time, get the contractor that is swapping them out to gas to agree to remove the oil tank and heater. Easier that way

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
We needed a permit and inspection to get rid of ours in Morris co after switching to gas
That's the state law, so whoever did your removal is on the up&up. Anyone that tells you a permit is not required for removal is to be considered suspect imo.

Reactions: bill43

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Make sure you get a permit. The oil you can sell. Usually if you get a reputable comp., they will help you out with all the small details. After your done the town will inspect your basement for spills (they are responsible for that issue) the tank will be cut in half and left outside till the inspector cheks it out and signs off on it. DO NOT LET A FLY BY NIGHT WITH NO LICENSE DO IT. It can come back and bite you in the ass. Also a reputable company will remove your filler pipe and cement it the hole.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.