New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here went to college for Wildlife management...im starting to look at schools
(actually heading up to the adirondacks to look at a school tomorrow) and was wondering if anyone has experience in this area or migh tbe able to point me in the right direction...any help would be appreciated...

max

·
Registered
127 Posts
A friend of mine went to the school your going to look at I think. (paul Smith) If thats the one I will try to get some info for you. It was sometime ago though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
my friend went to Penn State and earned a degree in Wildlife Management and had some great summer internships with Federal and State Wildlife Agencies..unfortunately he got into some trouble that took him a while to get out of...he always talked about how they offered a great program

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I started out in wildlife management but by the second year I relizes wildlife degress were a dime a dozen & low pay too. I switched to Zoology.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't want to dissuade you, heck we all know the merits of sound wildlife management, but keep in mind that to actually get a decent position in Wildlife Management you'll likely have to earn a PhD followed by several years as a post-doc. Expect to earn somewhere in the 20's as a post doc IF you are lucky, and around 35K if you eventually land a job with a state or federal agency. Believe it or not, competition for these meager salary jobs is quite fierce.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Im a junior at Rutgers University (New Brunswick Campus). Comming into college I was contemplating a wildlife management degree, but that all changed after a few science classes and my decision to become a Dr. However, you should defiantely look into Rutgers University Cook College for a degree in the life and animal sciences. I have a duel major in both Biology/Genetics and Environmental Science. Very demanding schedule but exceptional in academic retention.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I went to WVU for and received my BS in Wildlife Resources. Stealthy Bowman is absolutely correct about needing higher degrees to even make a decent living. At the time I graduated I decided that I did not want to go to school for another 4-5 years. I ended up with a job doing environmental science, went back and got my MS in Environmental Science and now run an corporate EHS program. Sometimes I still think that I should have stayed in the field and wrestled bears.

I would recommend that you focus on schools with accredited wildlife management programs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot for the replies...that is the only problem with this field..the pay...RUTHUNTER..yes paul smith is where i went this weekend...beautiful college/setting they offer fisheries/wildlife management...if you could get any information at all about his experience there that would be greatly appreciated...im still unsure of what i want to go into as of now...i want to make sure im going to school for something that i will thoroughly enjoy...i think it will push me to do better and would make it an overall better experience..thanks again for the replies

1 - 20 of 50 Posts