New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a permit for area 06 and I may go out.

I really haven't had any luck with Turkeys but I want to spend more time on it. I think I may have better luck this spring since my club property has plenty of turkey and there are some very experienced turkey hunters in the club that I can ask for some tips.

Any advice for a fall hunt? I've been out a couple times over the last 2 years but since I really didn't do any scouting - and since I don't know what the heck I'm doing, my results were zip.

I'll probably head up to Waywayanda if I can get out.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
This is what Jim Diomede told me about fall turkey. He is a NWTF and UBNJ guy...

In the fall you should locate a flock and try to break them apart. Then after about 30 to 50 minutes you can call them back with the lost call (kee-kee) I would suggest you try spending some time in the woods patterning some birds. Then set up near their travel route and try the kee-kee call to bring them closer to your location for a shot.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I will turkey hunt NYS Sterling Forest starting 11/01. I will also be scouting for deer season at the same time. This is how I determine if I will buy the NYS big game license.

I don't have a good fall turkey strategy. I pretty much go out and hope to see a turkey to shoot. I know you are supposed to scatter a flock then call them back together. I normally use soft putts.

Anyone with suggestions for calling in the fall?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys.

230grain - that's pretty much my strategy. Goes like this:

1. Take walk in woods with shotgun
2. Look for deer hunting spots for December
3. If you see Turkeys - shoot them

I guess that's not really a strategy LOL

Drag,

I've heard it the way you say it and so I guess the key is finding a flock via advanced scouting and try to understand where they are feeding and traveling to/from. Then get to them on hunting day.

I basically used Fall Turkey as an excuse to scout deer but since I'm deer hunting on different property than my fall turkey permit allows, my sole reason for going out is to get a bird now.

Good luck and be safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts