New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this morning and had a 4 pt within 30 yds. I didn't take the shot since I'm saving my permit tag for a big ole boy.

I almost took a shot at a red fox that was within 10 yds of my stand though.

How did you guys/gals do?

David

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Not today. I'll be out tomorrow morning. Good thought on passing up that 4 pt. Little warm out there today for too much movement I think. Thursday the temp. is supposed to drop so let's all get out this weekend. What made you let the fox walk?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Not today. I'll be out tomorrow morning. Good thought on passing up that 4 pt. Little warm out there today for too much movement I think. Thursday the temp. is supposed to drop so let's all get out this weekend. What made you let the fox walk?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple reasons: 1) He didn't stop. He was briskly walking and I wasn't going to try and shoot a moving target. 2) What can you do with a dead fox besides mounting it? If I wasn't going to spend that much $$$ on a mount, I would've done it with my first buck I ever got (this year, 8 pt). I can't justify spending like $500 on a mount. I have other things that my money needs to be spent on.

David

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I hear ya on that brother. I woulda let it walk as well, because I'm not going to eat it so let it live. I was just asking because a lotta guys woulda lit it up.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it only cost like $100 to do a full mount, I would've tried.

David

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I woulda let it walk as well, because I'm not going to eat it so let it live.
Words to live by countryboy. I wish more hunters would think like that,I don't shoot what I don't eat,including coyotes and foxes.I enjoy wildlife,thats why I enjoy bowhunting so much.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I let my red walk because I'll snare her in Dec. when the fur is prime
exactly how much money can you get for a fox fur?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Depends on the market there was a time $70 avg. now high of $20.
Don't take the fox & coyote say goodbye to small game, ducks, turkey & your deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts