New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im leaving Wednesday for about a week on Lake Champlain with an old friend to do some serious fishing. Were staying about midlake in Westport NY. Pulling the boat up, its loaded up with every conceivable gadget you can immagine,(downriggers, side planers, etc,etc) the only thing it lacks is skillful fisherman[wallmad].I mainly fly fish for trout my entire life and been having a hard time cathing fish with my boat. I really want to get into the lakers and Salmon, then bass & Pike fish during the mid day. Any tips or advise on how far down with the riggers? How far behind ther ball? what lures? Should I be also flatlining??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Well if your set on Westport then troll south to young bay, I'd go vary the depths on the balls, your fishfinder should give you readings Try hammered copper Sutton spoons or blue and silver flutter spoons about 20-30 ' behind the ball. as far as your planer boards or flat lining chartreuse jointed rapalas or Brn trout rebels. But if I were you I'd go North either by trailer or run it up a little past Bouquet river to Jones point just south of Willsboro Point. The water around Schuyler Island and Willsboro Point(Pumkins reef) and in between are good this time of year the depths to follow are around 140 ' As farar as salmon The river mouths are good and also trolling the shore lines. You could always go with large streamers with a tandem hook Grey Ghost,or any Smelt patter, either on a dipsey diver or with some split shot . Also crockodile spoons Brn Trout, Rainbow rrout. Don't forget to bring some Dodgers and Christmas trees. Hope this helps some. I loved fishing up there. If you need a place to stay Adirondack Champlain Guide service owned by Pete Casemento. You can stay there and park your boat in his lot. Excellent breakfast and dinner. There are also plent of motels and bars around. Good Luck. Ps where are you from as I have charts for the Lake that you could borrow or buy. I think you'd be better off on the southern end of the Lake Pike and bass, Never fished for them there, Always went to Saranac. For the Lke trout you may want to try fluttering, Hook a flutter spoon to the ball and drop it while drifting, then pull back on the rod releasing the spoon causing it to flutter to the surface. Bring in the ball and repeat. Also while trolling you can stack your lures at different depths if you have that gizmo that attatches to the line.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if your set on Westport then troll south to young bay, I'd go vary the depths on the balls, your fishfinder should give you readings Try hammered copper Sutton spoons or blue and silver flutter spoons about 20-30 ' behind the ball. as far as your planer boards or flat lining chartreuse jointed rapalas or Brn trout rebels. But if I were you I'd go North either by trailer or run it up a little past Bouquet river to Jones point just south of Willsboro Point. The water around Schuyler Island and Willsboro Point(Pumkins reef) and in between are good this time of year the depths to follow are around 140 ' As farar as salmon The river mouths are good and also trolling the shore lines. You could always go with large streamers with a tandem hook Grey Ghost,or any Smelt patter, either on a dipsey diver or with some split shot . Also crockodile spoons Brn Trout, Rainbow rrout. Don't forget to bring some Dodgers and Christmas trees. Hope this helps some. I loved fishing up there. If you need a place to stay Adirondack Champlain Guide service owned by Pete Casemento. You can stay there and park your boat in his lot. Excellent breakfast and dinner. There are also plent of motels and bars around. Good Luck. Ps where are you from as I have charts for the Lake that you could borrow or buy. I think you'd be better off on the southern end of the Lake Pike and bass, Never fished for them there, Always went to Saranac. For the Lke trout you may want to try fluttering, Hook a flutter spoon to the ball and drop it while drifting, then pull back on the rod releasing the spoon causing it to flutter to the surface. Bring in the ball and repeat. Also while trolling you can stack your lures at different depths if you have that gizmo that attatches to the line.
Thank you for all the great advise, I really appreciate it. I usualy go to Lake George, but decided this time to run up past it to Champlain. Usually kill the small mouth at George, but not much success with the Lakers. I figure if Champlain doesnt work out, we can drive over to Lake George. I wonder if you can catch the Lakers the way we fish for them in Round Valley drifting Herring? or any other preferred local bait fish?

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I wonder if you can catch the Lakers the way we fish for them in Round Valley drifting Herring? or any other preferred local bait fish?
Check the local bait shops for cut bait. They did have some kind of rig I bought just in case, but we always used lures, I still have this gizmo some where.

·
Registered
15,843 Posts
Good advice! You can also take a day and go with a reputable charter for the fish you seek. Amazing what you can learn from one trip to use on your own every time after.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
I fish Champlain twice a year. But I bass fish. If you want to have fun go to any grass bed and drag a weedless frog across the matted grass. The matted grass beds are hugh and some cover the entire bay. You can find rock humps in open wtaer. Smallmouth will be stacked up on them. A Jerkbait will catch them. On shallow flats there will be Smallies beded. Drag a tube along the bottom.

I luv Champlain. The fish are dumb lol. Not alot of pressure like other lakes. You can catch a ton of fish in a day.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thank you for all the great advise, I really appreciate it. I usualy go to Lake George, but decided this time to run up past it to Champlain. Usually kill the small mouth at George, but not much success with the Lakers. I figure if Champlain doesnt work out, we can drive over to Lake George. I wonder if you can catch the Lakers the way we fish for them in Round Valley drifting Herring? or any other preferred local bait fish?
I fished the northern part of Lake George last year and we caught lots of big lakers!! Trolling hammered copper spoons did the trick!

·
Banned
3,316 Posts
I usualy go to Lake George, but decided this time to run up past it to Champlain. Usually kill the small mouth at George, but not much success with the Lakers
.. Been to lake George a few times.. Can catch small mouths with every cast... Lakers are tough though.. caught 3 in two 6 hour days last year.. was thinking about checking out lake Champlian this year but, with things being the way they are in NY these days i wouldnt spend a nickle in that state..

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Believe it or not we have Larger Lakers in Round Valley than they do in Lake Champlain. BH 2004 If your going to fish Champlain it might pay off to enter the Rotary Fishing Classic tournament when and if the still have it. My buddy got 5thplace one year for a walleye and I was in 4th with a small 6 1/2lb laker till the last day when the weather cleared and everyone who entered fished. Some of my best fishing times were up there, it's nice country and people but times have probably changed. Ps. Lakers make good fish chowder.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
was thinking about checking out lake Champlian this year but, with things being the way they are in NY these days i wouldnt spend a nickle in that state..
Yeah you don't want to blow all your stock earning's at some mom an pop B&B that doesn't need it....[eyeroll]

·
Banned
3,316 Posts
Yeah you don't want to blow all your stock earning's at some mom an pop B&B that doesn't need it....[eyeroll]
.. Mom and PoP need to take that up with their government... not me..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
^^^^^^ You ARE an idiot or is it a LOON!!!!!Lake Champlian has some of the BEST fishing in the East!
Lake Trout and Landlocked Salmon have made a BIG come back now that Vermont has gotten on the ball with killing Lampies.
Fantistic Small Mouth,Large mouth,Pike,Perch,Gar,Bowfin,You name it!
The Anchorage Inn is a good Place to stay or as mentioned Petes place in Willsboro.He is right down the road from the Boat launch at Willsboro Point and will give you any info. that you need.
I love it up there.
Good Fishn[up]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Get a stick and line. Tie it around the end of the pole.Get a hook. Put a piece of food on the hook. Caste out and see what you catch[up]

·
Registered
15,843 Posts
As on any body of water trolling speeds need to be adjusted to the fish you are seeking. Lakers will hit at slower speeds while Salmon tend to hit at faster speeds. 2.3 to 2.8 is a good range for most. Your speed at the surface will be faster than the speed at the ball if you are downrigging deep. You have to play until you catch one and then take note of how fast you were going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts