New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the H&R Ultra Slug Hunters? I was considering getting one of these for deer season this year. I hunted my girlfriend's property last year and the deer were consistently oout of buckshot range, so I figured I should get a slug gun. They're pretty inexpensive, cheaper than a slug barrel for my Mossberg, so I figured I might give them a shot. WHat do you guys think?

B

·
0 Posts
all I hear is GREAT things about this gun, if its cheaper then the slug barrel get it. I assume you have a Mossberg 500, I see the rifle/cantilever barrles for $150

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I have an 835, last time at Cabela's I saw a rifled slug barrel for $200, the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

B

·
0 Posts
call Lucianos in Lodi, see what he can get it for, he seems to be the cheapest around. I have the 835 also, if you use it with slugs make sure use 3-1/2" slugs, for Liablity reasons. I use the LIGHTFIELDS 3-1/2" slugs, they are equel to there 3" slugs

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried to get one on Ebay, but every time I bid on one I get sniped at the last minute, or the price goes way beyond what I wanna spend.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I totally understand. For what it's worth, I have a Mossy 500 combo, which comes with the cantilever scope mount barrel. It makes for an awesome slug gun. I took 2 does last year with it. The first one was a 70 yard shot right through her heart... split it in half. The second was a 40ish yard shot put thru both shoulders and she dropped right there. It's a deadly combo.

David

B

·
0 Posts
I use too......I always wanted a semi for deer, so a few years ago I got myself a remington 11-87 SPS, took the bear with it. The 3-1/2" slug doesnt kick/recoil anymore then the 3"

B

·
0 Posts
Joe Luciano always gives me & buckfever good deals, he is always cheaper then the other places

·
Registered
50 Posts
My friend and I both have the ultra slug gun in 12 ga.. i plan on buying one in 20 ga. for my kids next year. We shoot lightfield slugs and are shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Be careful though if you use lightfields I suggest buying 10 boxes of the same lot #. There will be a good chance that different lot #'s will be inaccurate. I have experienced this first hand and also confirmed it with a lightfield technician. The 10 boxes will be enough to sight in and you will have enough for 1 0r 2 seasons. I think they are excellent guns and getting a second shot off comes quick with practice.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Joe, how do you get there? I am looking for a Stoeger over/under 12/20 combonation. The Stoeger site says they sell them. I can get one from Dicks for $450.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a 20ga Ultra slug ....It has it's good point's and bad point's , It shoot's great ,But if your shooting off hand it can be alittle heavy..The trigger sucks , but you can have that taken care of...All and all If I can't shoot a Browning A-Bolt slug gun then the H&R is next in line for me...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Joe, how do you get there? I am looking for a Stoeger over/under 12/20 combonation. The Stoeger site says they sell them. I can get one from Dicks for $450
its in lodi....where in lodi, i dont know that exactly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts