New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience in hunting waterfowl on small creeks or freshwater marshes? I have read some articles about small water waterfowl hunting but, there are only a few. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Guys in my club used to hunt in a flooded swamp in the woods, they shot some birds in there. The swamp was next to my treestand. Always different kinds of ducks. They also hunted a water hole in the field from a hedgerow. They did good there too

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
my best spot I had before someone took down the beaver dam the water wouldn't cover the laces on your boots, now there is even less and I saw a woodie in it today

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Some of my best spots are small spots. Some so tight you can throw a rock and probably hit the other tree line.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some ponds I hunt in NJ are maybe an acre or two at most & if there are birds there, the barrel will get warm.

Same with small creeks. I hunted one for several seasons on private..Good for woodducks because they nested on it and would linger...then when the lakes would freeze up, mallards & blackducks would pile up in it since it was the only open water. Fun to walk and jump shoot birds or set up and decoy birds.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hunted a small hard bottom 2 acre resting pond in the Wharton Tract years ago. One day I'm sneaking in and started to put out a two decoy's. Some a-hole was in there and laced the pond with corn. I got out of there as fast as I could, so be careful.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
duck-hunting-bathtub.png

No luck so far

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Nope the Skinny water in Morris county does NOT hold ducks. My advice is to get a goldfish colored car and follow RGW around to his spots. It has worked for me.
how do u think I found your spot I am going to be at. you didnt see that mini coop with the I love bears sticker following you did ya.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I hunted a small hard bottom 2 acre resting pond in the Wharton Tract years ago. One day I'm sneaking in and started to put out a two decoy's. Some a-hole was in there and laced the pond with corn. I got out of there as fast as I could, so be careful.
That corn was for deer ONLY! Thats why I killed all the ducks that tried to eat it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't worry about calls and whatnot on small bodies of water. The water will funnel them, just keep an eye on the horizon; normally you have a very fast closing shooting window.

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Hide very well. No need for more than 2 or 3 decoys. Hint hint.....a jerk string works very well
Small water ducks, think "run & gun". You should be able to pack in everything you need on your back to get to these remote honey holes.

There's some nice pocket marshes & beaver ponds in DWGNRA that fit this bill to a tee. [up]

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to pond hop before work many years ago BEFORE WORK.....always brought my spinning rod with a weighted treble in case I scored....only had to cast a couple of times. Those "tiny" ponds could be a bonanza....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't worry about calls and whatnot on small bodies of water. The water will funnel them, just keep an eye on the horizon; normally you have a very fast closing shooting window.
This is exactly what happened for me on opening day! Thanks for the input everyone! _20151012_180201.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts