New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in initial FAA Designee Training School back in the 90's, and again at a recurrent FAA Training in San Antonio, TX a few years ago in 2002, one of the FAA instructors, Dennis Haile, brought up stories, and even some slides, on "Noodlin'" for huge catfish.

I've heard other stories about Noodlin', and here's a great article about it for those who want to know what it is:

http://springfield.news-leader.com/lifestyle/today/20050505-Noodlersgettria.html

It's an accepted sport in 11 other states, including Arkansas, Oklahoma and Illinois. But since 1919, it has been illegal in Missouri.

They legalized Noodlin' in Georgia last year, and Missouri will have their first "legal" season start in June 2005.[up]

I wonder if we have any places in NJ that Noodlin' can be done "legally" (this is fishin' by hand and without rod and reel)? [confused]

I think I'm willing to even travel to give it a shot...It's really spurred my interest!!!!;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm gonna try the same thing this year for bear while their in their den. Just stick in a gloved hand, covered in honey and wrestle the thing outta there. What do you think, good idea? My obituary would start "He's wasn't a very smart man...":D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
its illegal in all states but 3, I have a friend from, iowa, and he told me they do it there all the time, he was gonna show me how to do it in pa, but found out we couldnt,

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
That is the one I was telling you about the other day when we were out fishing and talking about it. I like it.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
yeah thats is crzy, but i would try it, seems like fun as long as you catch a fish, and not a muskrat or snapper

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
You only live once, so what if you get bit, then you go to the DR and get a rabies shot, and you got a new battle wound LOL :D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I would try it. Screw the turtles and musk rats. The size of them cats I would be more worried about one of them trying to drowned me :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JerseyFJ40 -
I'm gonna try the same thing this year for bear while their in their den. Just stick in a gloved hand, covered in honey and wrestle the thing outta there. What do you think, good idea? My obituary would start "He's wasn't a very smart man..."
I like your "train" of thought!!!:D[up]

It may have left the station quite some time ago, but you can hang with this "hick" any time!!!! :D[up]

"Hick" - as Woj would refer to us - Just what I'd expect to hear from an IT guy!!![smirk])

He's just JEALOUS 'cuz we get out fishin' and huntin' more than him!!!! :D[cool]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would try it. Screw the turtles and musk rats. The size of them cats I would be more worried about one of them trying to drowned me
I'm gettin' in touch with the FAA Instructor in Oklahoma City (that I mentioned in my previous "Noodlin' post)and I'm gonna try to set up a trip possibly sometime this year or next, to "discuss ;) "Noodlin'" in person!!!![smirk][up]

The pictures that I saw from Oklahoma were of cats that they'd "Noodled" that were anywhere from 50 - 150#s!!!!

I sent him and another FAA Instructor, Brad Outlaw (yup...that's his REAL name!!!), the link to "Girls Gone Grabblin"...They loved it!!![up]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woj - I live "down the shore" as you North Jersey "Bennies/WEBs" would say, so I'm considered a "clam digger" !!!!:D

Funny that I REALLY DO CLAM ("treading" clams is one of my favorite things)!!!! :D[cool]

I'm only referred to as a "hick or "redneck" when I head out YOUR way to hunt hunt and fish!!!:D

...And, when I speak (some say I have a bit of a Southern drawl), especially when I get back from a visit to Mississippi, Texas, Tennessee, etc...., and have picked up a heavy drawl as authentic as the "natives"!!! The more BUDS I have the worse/better it gets!!![smirk]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts