New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost no activity on the bait and not one decent buck on camera. I'm in a good funnel and I know that there's big bucks in the piece, but I've seen no traces. I'm hunting way off the bait in my climber and i'm seeing some action but no legal bucks. I just don't get it. I'm scratching my head I usually get one on the ground by now or at least get a look at something nice. This spot has been a consistent producer over the years. It's a big piece and I thought I had it figured out[confusedagain]. Gonna go do some serious scouting next rainy day we get and try to regear my strategy. I feel like the season is dwindling down and I'm getting discouraged. Just feel like it's not my year this year. Anyone else having a bad year so far? Misery loves company :)

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
The weather we had during the rut killed me. the deer would vanish as soon as it warmed up.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanna just make excuses cause I know the spot is good. The weather has been horribly warm. But plenty of other guys are getting it done. And my local check station said they are right on track with last year

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
ive had a rough season thus far also but im not gunna give up..i saw some huge bucks and had some daily visitors turn nocturnal...i also lost a few nices bucks to cars...i had the buck of my dreams get chased a half mile down the mountain bye a dog and get hit bye a dump truck..i almost crapped my pants..and last month i had a huge 7pt catch me taking a pee...one of these days ill get the job done...i love being in the woods anyways every hunt for me is awesome cant wait till my kids are old enough to go with me...i also moved into and apartment and have no room for a freezer so im limited to how many deer i can harvest...usualy i have 10 does deep bye now but instead i have 2....stick it out the time will come...the other day i had 16 80+ lbs doe in front of me 10 yards and they stunk like estrus and there was no bucks in sight..it sucked but it was still cool to see all mature doe with no fawns...hang in there bud im with ya on this 1...i cant wait till gun season when people move the deer around..action is gunna be awesome...[smoke]

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have been having it rough too! Had a big shooter with a drop tine come in opening day back in Sept and didn't have a doe down yet, only saw him one more time on a neighboring lawn chasing a doe. Then last week missed another shooter at 15 yds[wallmad]. Other than that I have only seen a few scrapers!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I am having a bad season also I have 3 target bucks had one a week ago at 50 yards with no shot and then my big 9 came by today and he is now a 3 point

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I wouldn't call it frustration. Things are pretty much expected to change as the season moves on. I'm seeing some young bucks in search mode or feeding in the open while the bigger bucks seemed to have gone nocturnal. I have watched some movement close to dark. The weather has played a part, but it comes down to putting yourself in the right spot at the right time as always.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Yes this is the toughest season I had in years its the first season I have not shot a buck in 9 years with the bow.. I don't bait because of the bears and I am just too cheap. Who knows I will try my luck Monday with the muzzleloader

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't call it frustration. Things are pretty much expected to change as the season moves on
Yeah it's my fault. This year has been obviously different. Just gotta evolve and stay mobile. I hate scouting too much during the season. It is supposed to rain this week though so I'm gonna get in there ninja style and unravel this mystery and put myself back in the game. [ninja]

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Had anything changed In the area? Like food sources or devlopment on adjoning property

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
im having the best and worst season of my life, seeing more bucks than ever but i cant close the deal, its frustrating when you miss 2 big bucks and hit one and couldnt find it. i dont know whats wrong with me this year

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Frustrating season for myself. I have seen plenty of nice bucks, just out of range. If I did the opposite of what I thought, I would have shot a nice buck by now. I'm ready for shotgun....

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I WAS ON THE SAME PATH AND THEN I HUNT THE PRE RUT AND IT EXPLODED I WENT FROM HAVING A FEW SPIKES ON CAM TO SOME NICE BUCKS,IT COULD TURN AROUND AT AYTIME,KEEP YOU R CHIN UP!!GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I'm getting discouraged. Just feel like it's not my year this year
I know its always great to fill the freezer. But, I noticed as I got older that time in the field is a blessing in itself. Try not to measure your season in terms of the harvest but just the time "out". I enjoy the woods everytime I get out.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i've been seeing them this year anywhere from 1 to 3 at a time in 65. compared to the last 3 years in 25 i was lucky to see 2 or 3 all season. 4 of them were within range only 1 was a surely clear shot, but i did'nt have my bow ready :( . we'll see what M/l season does. don't give up out there.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Experiencing a tougher than average season here in NJ. I am not seeing any activity at one of my spots, a few others have some does and small bucks. Occaisonal 2 1/2 at night but nothing consistent. I dont even have the urge to go out after returning from Illinois with my first Booner scoring 193.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts