New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i had for the first 19 yrs of hunting was private leased farmland ,IN HUNTERDON NO LESS, to hunt and now due to building, I'm stuck on public land,in SOUTH JERSEY!!
I did score on the second day of fall bow last yr. from a ground blind I set up 3 weeks before the season. Even though it was a small (south jersey doe)it WAS one of my most exciting hunts.
Even though i have no problem seeing deer down here on public land, I'm a bit nervous being in the woods with total strangers that are carrying something that could kill me. I try to talk to all hunters i see, usually around the parking areas,to see what game everyones seeing or p [no swearing please] along the website or to compare where we are heading so as not to disturb each other,which led to one of my stands being stolen after one night. I left a cheaper model climber at the base of the tree to hunt again the next moring and it was gone just 10 hours later, what scumbags it was pitch black before i even started to climb down, came to the conclusion they saw me climb up and just went back hours later.
Anyway just looking for anyone from zone 34 cause ya just don't see to many posts from down here

·
Registered
260 Posts
YEAH THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH PUBLIC HUNTING. THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ALSO DO NOT ABIDE BY REGS AND COST US OUR REPUTATIONS. BEST THING TO DO IS GO DEEP IN THE THICK STUFF, USUALLY THE IDIOTS DO NOT LIKE TO WORK TO HARD. SAME PROBLEMS DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA ALSO, ONLY THEY CARRY RIFLES.

JOE
NRA,DU,DELTA,NAHC,RMEF,UBNJ,UW-FLORIDA

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anywhere in capemay county, I like to try different locations but all public land and I've gone to Heislerville wma a few times , people are crazy up there, they hunt from their vehicals FOR STOCKED PHEASANTS! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it but they drive the leves at high tide and shoot the birds standing in the roadway.
I was thinking about trying Bellplain State land but it seems like alot of people hunt it also.
I still travel the 2 1/2 hrs up to Hunterdon and hunt public land. Theres crowds but better chances of seeing deer also.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
There is alot of state land in zone 34. I used to drive by a part of the Bellplain State Forest every day and never saw any trucks parked there. Bunch of coyotes down there too, and occassionally a big buck or two. They are just tough to find because it's alot of woods and very thick at that.

For a little bit bigger deer, try Bevan WMA. I've seen some real slammers come out of that place, usually in gun season, but a few in bow season. The deer seem to have bigger bodies there too.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey MarksWorld,
I just moved to Ocean City in April and have been scouting public ground in zones 34 & 46. I hunt about three times a week and have yet to only get one small doe. I guess i'm in the same boat as yourself..e-mail me at [email protected] and maybe we can get together for a hunt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hunt in alot of public land in Zone 34 Beaven, Peaslee, and Heislerville. I've have a good amount of success here to. I live in Dorchester and hunt by my self most of the year. I hunt deep in the woods, ain't afraid to walk alot, and go into every thick piece of woods I can find.

Any other questions about "down here"?? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try Zones 29, 31, and 43. There are some nice deer out this way and plenty of open space, not too far from Zone 34. I used to live in western Zone 34, saw nothing but small does on my property. A rare buck if I was lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts