New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guna try it before it gets too cold down inTR/barnegat bay. Just wondering if anyone been out. I heard a long time ago the three months ending in "R" are some of the best months to go. They have a few extra moons to shed n get big.

Crabbing n fishin n maybe some scouting are about the only things I can do with a 6 month old under my wing. Ducks n bucks may hav to wait. Well, I cud put him I the ground blind and let him call in a buck with his patented own "bleat" call. Jus hav to pinch his arm a bit!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I was out about 2 weeks ago, and the seaweed was pretty bad. (I think it was a saturday) crabbing was slower than earlier in the summer, and in my area, when I got out of the current/seaweed, I was off the crab. I usually throw 2 maryland pots, then set up and fish droplines. the drops had to be pulled almost constantly and reset just to empty the seaweed. a lot of the crabs seemed to drop off on the bottom, mostly from the usual mass of seaweed. I managed prob abt 3 dozen keepers after about 2-3 hrs and the pots did OK with about another 1/2 doz each on abt a 3 hr soak. I usually set and pull them same day, Im just skeert of leaving them without me close by. earlier in the summer, I was getting a bushel in 3-4 hrs easy. Crabbing is usually good till Thanksgiving and I always said they were fuller in the fall as they "fattened up" for winter hybernation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts