New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dont turkey hunt but wish I had a permit yesterday. I was trout fishing and came out of the stream in a field and there they were all over.

·
11,226 Posts
I didn't hear any this morning......I got off to a late start (two of the children not feeling well and kept me up all night) I got in the woods around 9:30. About 10:30 I had a big hen come in to the calls. She was actually purring back when I purred at her. She stayed around until about 11:45. At one point she even layed down in some tall gr [no swearing please] on the hill behind me about 50 yards away.
Around 11:00 I could hear something moving out in front of me. It was really noisy but I couldn't see any movement! I kept staring in the direction of the sounds but still nothing! The noise was now getting really close so I started looking for a smaller animal like a chipmunk or something like that but it didn't sound like a chipmunk. It was a steady moving sound in the leaves. Then finally I saw the culprit. About 15 feet in front of me a big'ol box turtle climbed up over a small log and looked around! lol He was awesome. He walked right under the fallen tree I was sitting against. He was very cool!
That was all for today...I'll try again tomorrow...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cannot wait for next week to try for those tough old toms that made it thru.If all else fails Woj"s front porch should work! I will be out Mon-Fri E week.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Man Griz....how do you always come across big Toms?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Used the long bow today,Shot just over his back.DBuck just have to do a LOT of home work.Private land helps.Never hunted public land for turkeys,did see 2 toms in the field by the clinton northern office last week when i went for another permit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts