New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently returned to small gaming with my two 2 year old beagles. I have been trying some of my old hunting spots. Immagine my supprise when they were loaded with scurfy little cats. Come to find out in Hamilton Twp where I live there are over 40 Trap Neuter Release cat colonys. These "friends of animals" apparently trap the cats get them neutered and get them thier "shot's" yearly. They also have those plastic travel boxes set up and thier are atleast 20 feeding bowels at each site. I found this information out from the local animal control officer apparently they are LEGAL. I know that they are destroying the local small game population. Not to mention that amount of animals in that small of an area cannot be healthy. Any ideas how to legally address this problem?[mad]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
They may not breed, but (a) they kill off small game populations, as well as non-game species, and (b) over population of cats can lead to a concern over rabies, or passing various infections to cats kept as pets, such as feline lukemia or feline imune deficiency syndrome (aka "kitty AIDS").

Definitely not a good thing, and the local cat owning population ought to be made aware of it.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
A high school friend of my girlfriend(66 grad.) does this "thing" with cats in the Belmar area.
She's never been married or even had a boyfriend that I know of. Her home stinks of cat pizz because it's her holding area for the recently fixed cats as well as her own pile of them.
She has colonies at the Bemar marina, a couple of 7 Elevens, resturants. Everyday she makes her rounds trapping and feeding them. I'd love to hear a phychological analysis of these people.
There are a high number of cats, people drop off at Assumpink WMA. I believe they're cats from the numberous horse boarding farms around the area. They get overrun with fast breeding rate and abandon them at wildlifes expense. The ironic twist is, most of these horse people are "anti" hunter. Most are women whose horse is more important to them, than their "husbands". They're first cl [no swearing please] "nuts".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to find out more information about these "colonys" from my local animal control officer and what type permits are needed. I'm also going to call my vet and find out what type diseases can be transmitted to humans by these cats. I was also thinking about trapping them myself with hava heart traps and dropping them off to the pound myself.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Lets see, beagles, shotguns, and cats, I have an idea! .

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think it was Wisconsin where they tried to make it legal to shoot feral cats. It caused quite an uproar and I believe it did not get passed. Field and Stream has a nice story on the issue http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/gamebirds/article/0,13199,191854,00.html

Muffy, the Quail Killer
Feral and free-ranging cats kill millions of animals a year-and there's no solution in sight.
by Lawrence Pyne

Aesop, in his Greek fables, once asked, "Who will bell the cat?" Twenty-five centuries later, public officials are wrestling with the same question in light of growing evidence that in many areas, domestic cats are having a devastating impact on wildlife.
There are about 100 million cats in the U.S., 40 million of which are believed to be either feral cats or free-ranging pets.......

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 22 Dec 2005 9:28 AM Last Edited By: Whiskers

Currently Offline Posts: 28
Lets see, beagles, shotguns, and cats, I have an idea! .
I have thought about shooting feral cats & dogs in the past. The problem if it is someone's pet I certainly would not want to shoot it. How can you tell for sure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This has been a pain of mine for many years. Domestic killing machines let loose at the expense of the native populations.

The concept they try to push with this TNR crap is that it keeps a stable population of bird killers that wont grow because they are neutered. They never mention the fact that people are constantly throwing unwanted cats out of cars and thus creating new colonys.

Numerous studies have shown astounding amounts of native species killed by feral cats needlessly each year. All because of peoples inability to see reality as they would rather believe that all animals are equal in any environment, they ignore all studies of invasive species and the destruction caused by them.

I personally smile everytime I see a cat smeared in the road as I know many many other animals where then spared death at its claws.

BTW I have a cat and I love indoor cats, they have no place outside though as thier instincts are deadly.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
ATTENTION snooping ara's: this is a windfall before you. Please go to this area and collect up these cuddly creatures before harm befalls them, take them into your homes and give them the love that they so desperately need. Show your devotion to the cause by taking in several of these homeless creatures. Feral cats will surely return the kindness given too them.
p.s. have a nice day, I.M.Fletcher

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
ATTENTION snooping ara's: this is a windfall before you. Please go to this area and collect up these cuddly creatures before harm befalls them, take them into your homes and give them the love that they so desperately need. Show your devotion to the cause by taking in several of these homeless creatures. Feral cats will surely return the kindness given too them.
p.s. have a nice day, I.M.Fletcher
You might as well kill them. These mentally ill people will just take them all in and let them starve.

Just ask NJ-ARA president Angie Metler, who was arrested years ago for mistreatment of animals.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.