New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a spot where i can routinely get within about 10 or 15 yards of canadas and mallards... but can't use firearms there. thinking that i would like to try some bowhunting next week.

i haven't been able to find much info on this... what kind of points or broadheads are best? how about shot placement? seems like a gobbler gilloutine style would be very effective on the geese. not looking to shoot them in the air, don't want flu-flu arrows going who knows where.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
but can't use firearms there
dont know what the situation is but if it is because you are inside the 450 ft mark the 150 for bow rule only applies to deer hunters that are elevated. doesnt help you for waterfowl

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i wanna try next week i have a stand between two river lets and mallards pintail and wood duck allover

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I tried this last year, I just used regular deer broad heads right to the body. Dropped them flat. But I was in a field, so a little different. Good luck.

And yes like said 150' is only for deer. waterfowl is still 450'

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i already read the regs for it, i was looking more for opinions on equipment choices from people who have done it. i only use mechanicals on deer, but i figured that would be excessive (and expensive) with the geese. DDS, what were the cutting diameter of the broadheads you used? how much of the breasts were usable meat?

where does it state that the bowhunting 150' is only for deer? the statue that specifies the minimum distances makes no mention of the type of animal being hunted, just that one must be "in an elevated position so that any arrow is aimed in a downward angle".

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I say just let them live

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I've shot a few geese including 1in flight...a broadhead is what you want to use.

Every other year there's a story in the news showing a goose with a field tip arrow in it...

·
Registered
790 Posts
any type of broadhead with get the job done. make sure they fly well, just like your deer setup. i usually aim for the base of the neck. geese can still fly pretty far when hit in the body sometimes. base of the neck drops them.

it may seem easy now but once you get close you will see that they never stop moving. good luck and have fun[up]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You asked how, and what to use.

Well I used a deer fixed blade broad head, I think 1" cut 125 grain, could have used a smaller one though. I didn't go for a flying shot, its already challenging enough with the bow and I didn't want it to fly to far ether.

I did a broad side shot right at the wing joint, maybe a little farther back but that general area.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info guys... i'll report back

also- regarding bowhunting within 150' of houses with permission... it is legal for any game animals now, not just deer. i spoke with a nice lady at the northern region dfw law enforcement office to check. it used to be for deer only, but now it is anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts