New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea, that a hunter can use (with proper permit purchases) the option of using their 6 yearly buck tags with weapon of choice. ie: use your' 2 shotgun tags for fall bow. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about 3 buck tags+3 doe tags?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
so you guys say it's ok to take 2 bucks per season?

2 bucks = fall bow
2 bucks = permit bow
2 buck = muzzleloader
2 bucks = 6-day
2 bucks = winter bow

total = 10 bucks a year..... NOT GOOD AT ALL

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they mean 2 bucks whole year.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No, I meant, and Im assuming Bloodtrails meant:

Two buck tags to be used for any of the seasons.

Use two in Bow, and have NONE left for the rest of the year.

Or use one in bow and one during 6day.

Or none in bow, and 2 in 6day.

Etc, etc.

A yearly 2 buck limit would be way better than the current 6 buck limit. 6 bucks per year is WAY too many, especially considering how many are killed by cars, how many young sub-legal bucks are harvested by hunters filling EAB and BAD, and the fact that young bucks have the highest natural mortality rate.

Thats why many areas have WAY more does than bucks.

Reduce the buck kill to two or three bucks per hunter, and you will see an increase in buck numbers, a more balanced herd, and bucks making it to older age class's with bigger antlers. Do the majority of the herd reduction through doe harvests.[up][up]

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can go for 2 tags and raise the possibility of purchasing quality buck tags ( 8 points or better) over the counter, capped at 2 additional tags max. Lets say 150.00 a tag. Cost could go directly to Fish and Game for land purchases or maintanence of WMA's.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Here's the one I've been pushing with the State for years. ( on deaf ears )

In some zones there are long seasons ( 50 + days ) with unlimited does. This is an obvious effort to trim the herd. But unfortunatly most of the deer that are being harvested in my Zone ( 19 ) are being harvested on State land. This is not where the deer damage problem is. It is in the farm land areas.

Solution #1

Shorter season with limits on does harvested on State land.
Allow the continued long seasons and large bag limits on private ground.

Solution #2

In order for a farmer to get a deer control permit he must either open his property to public hunting or show that he has a program in effect to control the deer THROUGH hunting.

But no one seem to want to hear any of the above solution. So we will continue to see less and less deer on State land, and the deer herd problems will continue on and around the farm lands.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
$150 per tag?

Wow, way too rich for my blood. But its actually a great idea.

Luckily if that were implemented, I hardly ever use my buck tags anyway, so I certainly wouldnt need more than two. I just cant see harvesting a young buck. I treat my buck tag as if its the ONLY one I have for that season. I want to be very happy when I walk up on that downed buck. Not feeling like I just used my buck tag, just to use it.

The freezer gets filled with does, and the buck stubs usually end up seasoning tag soup.:D Im ok with that though. I just wish others would start to think like that a little more. Rather than feeling like they need to fill each and every buck stub they get.

Thats just my thoughts on it though.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Paul,

I agree with you completely on both counts.

The second idea is a great idea to fix the problem. [up][up]

And even though I completely agree with your observation of state land herds vs. private land herds. The idea you have to fix it would be harder to do. Are you suggesting shortening the seasons on state land? Or just shortening the time you can harvest does on state land?

I think a lot of hunters would be up in arms if you tried to shorten the state land season.

If you simply shorten the state land doe season, hunters without private properties could still shoot does on state lands and check them in as private land deer.

I think some farms, and large tracts of private property need higher doe harvests as you are suggesting, but perhaps a landowner incentive to allow hunters on their land is the best way.

I dont know. I think its a great point though, and we should all throw some ideas out there. Its a problem that seems to be shoved under the rug.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
The big deer Clubs down here are hitting the Game Lands HARD. After years of harvesting 15 + deer per Sat. It's taking it's toll on the herd in a neg. way. They practice " BROWN AND DOWN " I've seen trucks going by with 25lb. " fawns " on their tailgates, more than once !
If the # of doe days were decreased on State Land, these Clubs would not find it worth while to purchase the permits and get together on Sat. to hunt.
But it WOULD encourage MORE hunting on private land.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh, that makes more sense.

See I always think in terms of bowhunters. Thats just where my head is at.

Shortening the shotgun and muzzleloader permit seasons for does would be a good idea on most state lands. NOT ALL, but most.

Doesnt PA use some sort of DMAPS that limits doe harvests in certain areas, and encourages it in others? (state and private lands)

You are onto something here though! I'd support something that makes doe harvests even more specific than simply by zone.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Good point Ian, and I also love the antler restrictin in Pa.
BUT ... we are being over run by deer down here. And some of these scrub pine deer don't have the nutrition or genetics to grow 3 points on a side no matter how old they get.
But if it came to it, I would support 1 buck / yr.
Just think of the monsters that would be roaming the wood then :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts