New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I hope it wasn't the six Buckrun posted.

Then again, if it is- its found.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No luck, we tracked it over 600 yards at least probably more.

When it crossed a deep creek, we lost the blood for a little ways, and then we refound the blood by searching on hands and knees. We tracked it through a deep swampy thicket, across some open hardwoods and finally ran out of blood. We grid searched the area but were limited in how far we could grid search to the one side because it was private property. His line of travel was starting to become less and less like a flight for life, and more or less walking around. He even visited a scrape where we found blood. Seems like he even worked the scrape.

I cant be sure if the deer died or not, but we never found any beds, and it booked down the one side of the mountain, and seemed to have a healthy gait out the other side of the creek.(thats where we found the scrape with blood in it) The blood trail really started to taper off before the creek, and was almost non-existant after the creek.

It sucks, but I tried, and Kris tried, and thats all you can do. Right?[confused][down][down]:(:(:(

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
It happens matty. Dont worry about it. From what you said it sounds like it was not a fatal hit nor a hit that is hindering him much at all. Good luck the rest of the season and dont dwell on this.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I hope he lives and sees another year. He was at least a decent main frame eight(definitely not the six that someone found, I search for my deer)

This buck was similar to JJoes nice buck from earlier this year, but not as high off the head. He had at least one brow tine the size of my pointer finger. The other one might have been missing...

He seemed like a nice 2.5 year old buck.

Which is why Im so disappointed, I would much rather have just clean missed him and hope to see him next year. I guess theres always the chance he could live. The hit was just dead low on the opposite front leg quartering away.

I have to start using my rangefinder in new spots, because I SUCK at judging yardage. Now an animal paid the price. I feel like an a$$h)(& [down]

Oh yeah, the good parts of the day were that we saw a bear that trotted over the hill and didnt know we were there till I started making bear sounds at it, found where two bucks fought (hair, blood tore up earth), and saw a few other deer.

Hey Thanks again Kris, you put me in a good spot, I just screwed up. SORRY!:eek: Thanks for all your help tracking too.[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
That sucks. The only concelation is the deer probobly will live. The feelings you get after a bad hit are pretty grim but just keep your ethical hunting beliefs and realize it happens to the best bowhunters too.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
What are you guys kidding... we should shun Matty for his complete ineptitude!!! JUST KIDDING!

Sorry to hear about your situation. That sucks. I'm sure you'll better next time.

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sorry Matty. I would make a busting comment, but I know how hard you take it when you can't find a deer you shoot. Think of it this way Matty. If it is injured or died you have helped the food chain. It will not go to waste. A coyote, fox, vulture, bear will find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts