New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the area of toms river that provides a core aerator service? My lawn is between 4500-5000SQF i would say.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Im interested in knowing too. I put down Ken blue grass sod in the spring and would like to aerate and overseed this fall. Anyone know when would be the best time to do it?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
You can always rent one. I do it on my own yard every-other year whenever the ground is soft. Usually anytime from Labor Day to mid September, then lime, fertilize and overseed.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im interested in knowing too. I put down Ken blue grass sod in the spring and would like to aerate and overseed this fall. Anyone know when would be the best time to do it?
That is also what I put down. Best time is now but dont reseed the thick spots of your lawn only the spots that are bare...KBlue reseeds itself..Make sure you dont overwater it too you should only have to water like once a week in this type of cooler weather...you want like 1 hour per zone to stimulate a heavy rainfall rather than 30mins/zone each day this will make the roots go deeper for water and help the grass. I put a call into true green lawncare just trying to find someone cheaper/local...also done use any of the scotts 4 step products they are shit and overpriced

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
also done use any of the scotts 4 step products they are shit and overpriced
Ok..what seed should I buy? I didnt see anything at Home Depot that specifically said Ken Blue Grass seed

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..what seed should I buy? I didnt see anything at Home Depot that specifically said Ken Blue Grass seed
I dont goto home depot I goto this John Deere supply in lakewood...they sell lesco fertilizer and seed/products...its where landscapers go....try and look it up online either john deere landscaping or lesco products...they had a 10lb bag of blue grass...
They set me up with a fertilizing plan...what to use and when you will save alot of money buying the bigger bags and just saving it too. Scotts is $$$

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But should I still aerate everything?
For sure make sure you core aerate helps the lawn breath and asborb water/nutrients more effectively...important to do every fall...dont reseed your thick spots as I said just the bare spots...if you aerated within two weeks your lawn will be back to normal you wouldnt know anything was done

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Scotts 4 step program has always worked well for me. I switched to Vigaro a few years back as it was cheaper and my lawn suffered from it. You know the old saying, You get what you pay for? It's true with Scotts.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scotts 4 step program has always worked well for me. I switched to Vigaro a few years back as it was cheaper and my lawn suffered from it. You know the old saying, You get what you pay for? It's true with Scotts.
Scotts is not as strong of a product as Lesco...it will work but its designed for homeowners...your paying for the name, you could get a better product and save money by going with a lesco product or jonathan greene....these are the procuts that professional lawn care companies are going to use not scotts...even scotts lawncare use lesco products lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Core aeration is not necessary for all types of soil. Depends on where you live and what your soil is like. I would think in Tom's River the soil is sandy and core aeration wouldn't be necessary. The point of core aeartion is to allow oxygen to reach the root system of the turf, so it would be more beneficial to wet, heavy, or well compacted soil types. It seems to me that it has become an industry standard that is used in conjunction with an overseed. In my experiennce, it does not really create the best seed bed nor give the best results for an overseed. If you are simply trying to get grass to grow, slice seeding is the best option. If those areas are small, the cheaper yet affective method would be to install a light coating of composted topsoil, seed, rake in, and top with peat moss. Water twice a day to keep seed moist but not soggy. Chris, bluegrass in general is a latterally growing turf, so any bare areas or die back from your sod install should easily grow over during the course of a season. That is assuming it is irrigated and getting proper turf applications throughout the season. Will agree Scott's is designed for the homeowner, however, if it works for you and it keeps your turf green and weed free, why not?! NJGunner, if you are getting prices around $30-$40 per 1000 sq ft, you should be doing good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts