New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
i love the real experience and good advice being shared on this post. Sometimes threads can go south quickly. This new hunter has put thought and work into their approach and explained what he has been doing. Thats what the sportsman on this page respond too. The help that is being given is a real testimony to the spirit of this site. Good on ya!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I appreciate all the advice given so far, thank you!

I'm not quite sure that dropping an entire bag of corn will draw the deer in at the
desired times which is why i'm thinking of turning a 55 gallon drum i have left over
into a timed deer feeder. There's always 2 bears around during the night, i often find
them ravaging through the compost pile though they where nowhere to be found
during the day time while the hunt was on. So my thought would be that the bears
would simply find the corn and eat as much as they can, hence the idea of a timed
feeder.

I tried sitting near the path and even tracking the path but i couldn't find them
during the day. I did place a couple of apples at the last day of shotgun season
for this year, they never showed up during these days but the apples where gone
the day after when they ate it during the night.

It seems like they're on and about at night, sleeping during the day. The forest behind
the house isn't too big, i'd reckon about 100 acres , 120 acres at best before it goes
into private property (more woods) where i'm unable to go.

My theory would be, and i could be dead wrong, to give them a reason to stick around
during the day and bed either on or near the woods behind my house rather than go
to somebody else's property. So using the 55 gallon (plastic) drum to create a timed feeder
seems to be the most reasonable solution if i can figure out how to turn it into one
where it won't be destroyed by the bears.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
It seems like they're on and about at night, sleeping during the day. The forest behind
the house isn't too big, i'd reckon about 100 acres , 120 acres at best before it goes
into private property (more woods) where i'm unable to go.

Is the forest behind your house private or public?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is the forest behind your house private or public?
I'm fairly sure it belongs to a business according to the tax records, it's not posted but
i don't want to break the law either.

But we live in a world of instant gratification now...
From 5:50 am to 5 pm every day during six day firearm and again during shotgun season. While
i saw them on a daily basis before and after that they seem to be gone when it's time to hunt. This
isn't instant gratification but rather looking for advice on how to be successful or at least find
out of i'm doing something wrong that keeps them away.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
are you using scent control , cover scent . there is a chance between the other bow hunters and you hunting this property the deer have you patterned . hence why your not seeing anything. they are smart , and i am not a fan of baiting deer. i think in your a case a timed feeder would work well. be patient grasshopper !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take it for what it's worth but putting a timed feeder out this late in the season maybe a season ender for you. It takes them a while to get use to it and in some cases they never will. I have had nothing but negative experiences with any style feeder. Unless you suspend it 30 ft plus in the air. I have seen deer avoid a feeder area all together and hit a spot 40 yards away that had corn on the ground (both had corn on the ground at the time)

If your dead set on a feeder try putting corn directly on the ground first. Do 2 bags first time out of the gate. Then a week later put another 2 out. The point isn't to have it there all the time but to have it there enough they keep coming by to check for it. If you want to try a feeder to see what they will do... wait till after the season closes then run it till next season.

If your going to bait I would suggest no more am hunts because I can almost guarantee you will push them out on the way in and they will only put up with it so many times.

If you give that a go i can almost guarantee you will see something during shooting hours.

Also watch your wind vs where you think they are coming from. Do your best at scent control.

You will get it done! Takes a little time and patience but hang in there!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Take it for what it's worth but putting a timed feeder out this late in the season maybe a season ender for you. It takes them a while to get use to it and in some cases they never will. I have had nothing but negative experiences with any style feeder. Unless you suspend it 30 ft plus in the air. I have seen deer avoid a feeder area all together and hit a spot 40 yards away that had corn on the ground (both had corn on the ground at the time)

If your dead set on a feeder try putting corn directly on the ground first. Do 2 bags first time out of the gate. Then a week later put another 2 out. The point isn't to have it there all the time but to have it there enough they keep coming by to check for it. If you want to try a feeder to see what they will do... wait till after the season closes then run it till next season.

If your going to bait I would suggest no more am hunts because I can almost guarantee you will push them out on the way in and they will only put up with it so many times.

If you give that a go i can almost guarantee you will see something during shooting hours.

Also watch your wind vs where you think they are coming from. Do your best at scent control.

You will get it done! Takes a little time and patience but hang in there!
I could do that, but then the question is what prevents a bear from eating it all ? I know there's 2
here in the area that show up every now and then to raid the compost barrel. It's definitely worth
a try though, i was completely hyped up prior to getting out to hunt as I've seen packs of 5+ does
and a nice buck whom all disappeared once the hunting season started.

What prevents to deer from taking the corn opportunity and going nocturnal ? And at what time do i start hunting if not in the am ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am a new hunter as well. I watch hundreds of videos in YouTube. I watch seansoutdoor channel and the fieldarcher. What really helps me as well is putting a trail cam. You should be able to pattern their movement on which direction in the am or pm they travel. Knowing where they are travelling to and from. Hunt with the wind on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
The deer may have switched food sources or movedo into their winter pattern or changed bedding area due to hunting pressure.

There will be nothing to prevent bears/squirrels/foxes/racoons from eating your bait. When you bait hunt.. thats how it goes. A bear will rip down your feeder and destroy it to get to the contents.

Everyone will have a difference of opinions on the nocturnal thing but my opinion is nocturnal is a response to hunting pressure. Back off or limit the pressure and they move during daylight. Deer move during the daylight and it's my opinion that it depends where you are to see it.

If your using a trail camera let the camera tell when you can slip in to hunt. Usually you will get a few stragglers during mid day hours (10 to 2). Bulk of movement will happen at first light and towards last light. Problem with hunting over bait is they are usually there before 4am and dont walk off till 8am. Personally I would say anytime after 9 am and you should be good. I would say an ideal situation would be hunt from 2pm till dark.

Putting bait out isn't what everyone makes it seem. It's not going to be fish in a barrel and you will get a lot more night time action but with being on small parcels in nj it helps alter travel patterns when you can't move 300 yards to get closer.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Food and safe cover this time of the year. Skip the feeder.
Dump some corn on the ground and the deer will come. Most important with baiting this time of the year is the wind. Set your stand minimum 60 to 80 yards off the bait. You need to leave room for those deer to make a down wind circle of the bait which will put them very close to your stand. Also pay attention the direction the deer are coming from. A lot of times they will hang out (staging area) a safe distance from the bait or food source and wait until dark to feed. You could try to get a stand in this area also but the wind must determine your stand location. The colder it is, the earlier they will move to feed. I would also skip morning hunts as deer are back in their beds early. If by chance they are on the bait in the morning, you push them out going in.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I could do that, but then the question is what prevents a bear from eating it all ? I know there's 2
here in the area that show up every now and then to raid the compost barrel. It's definitely worth
a try though, i was completely hyped up prior to getting out to hunt as I've seen packs of 5+ does
and a nice buck whom all disappeared once the hunting season started.

What prevents to deer from taking the corn opportunity and going nocturnal ? And at what time do i start hunting if not in the am ?

Thank you!
Bears are denned up by now. So, I wouldn't be worried about that.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts