New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you hunt zone 4, where about in the zone do you hunt, how long have you hunted there, and what have you seen there as far as the size of the bucks(rack/weight), and bears?

I have seen some nice rack bucks in the past, some nice bears. This past season I didn't see any rack bucks, the biggest was a 4 pointer, saw about 5 different bears this year , the biggest being 250lbs. but didn't see bear after the 3rd week of October.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I picked up a small piece of private land to hunt in that zone. (dont want to give away the exact location....heres why). Got it in 03. I had bears working the property every day and very little sign of deer. My wife and I hunted opening day of 03 (bear season) She was to be the shooter. Well about 12:30 a buck came walking real scittish like over the top and I told her get ready, here comes your buck. She turned, tried to point the gun at it, hyperventalated and couldn't shoot. The deer got downwind of us and gone! 5 minutes later I hear BANG! from the property next to us. My wife says "theres a BEAR!" I turned saw the bear, heard BANG and the bear disapered! 2 seconds later 2 hunters walked over to where I last saw the bear and stopped. I went over and saw it....Huge sow. at least 250 pounds.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Raptor--sounds like you have plenty of company up there?? How big is the property? We are in Zone 2 and are basically surrounded by other clubs so there is always competition. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I only have 12 acres. The guys on the left have 40, they told me I can hunt the bottom portion of thier land because they don't go down there. That ads about 7 or 8 more acres. The guys on the right only have about 15 acres (they got the bear). Accross the road is about 5,000 acres of state land (My favorite piece of state land).

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hey Bowcop I have been Hunting in Zone 4 for 20yrs now, and until my hunting partner moved to Florida 2 yrs ago, we would climb a certain spot that takes close to two hrs uphill. we saw/bagged some bruisers there including a 147" 8 pointer that weighed 206 lbs dressed. problem was the dragout at least it was all down hill.
three yrs ago i had 7 bears under my stand for well over two hrs. haven't hunted there since, will be going back this yr to try it out.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
A couple years ago my cousin and I were talking to a guy at the Flatbrook range who did the same thing. Hiked up the mountain 2 hours in and waited. They said they got big bucks every year. They said the used to scout during the summer on mountain bikes.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
My wife and I stay at Wallpack for 10 days every year and have seen between 10-15 deer and 5-6 bear every time on stand. Still have got a couple of good bucks and have seen a couple of bear over 300 lbs! One right in the camp ground.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 1207
If you hunt zone 4, where about in the zone do you hunt, how long have you hunted there, and what have you seen there as far as the size of the bucks(rack/weight), and bears?

I have seen some nice rack bucks in the past, some nice bears. This past season I didn't see any rack bucks, the biggest was a 4 pointer, saw about 5 different bears this year , the biggest being 250lbs. but didn't see bear after the 3rd week of October.
BHC

I thought I replyed to your post on this before, but I don't see it in this thread.

Not to try to top Gunnyfern, but I have been hunting zone 4 on and off since about 1966 mostly near Walpack Center.

In fact I just took Drag goose hunting on the big field just across the bridge from the village. There were tons of deer beds on that field.

One place near there used to be like a high school reunion for me in the 1970's. Last year I met the son of a guy I went to high school with on the Buttermilk Falls Road.

I also hunt an area much further South known as Paquarry Flats. That is the other side of the mountain from Blairstown. I have only been hunting there since the 90's. I have had a lot of sucess there.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, but I did see a decent 225LB. bear !!!![up]:D

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
BHC,

I hunted Zone 4 in the late 80s and early 90s. Mostly Stokes and Flatbrook. Never shot anything of any size but being born and raised on the shore, the land was picture perfect deer country. A few friends and myself would camp a few weekends a year in Stokes and it was one of those hunts we all looked forward to each year. Then things changed, people moved, others got more interested in Big Game out West and the hunts just stopped. I was actually thinking of setting up a 3 day hunt near Stokes for late October. But it is hard to get people to commit and I have to admit, it would be difficult leaving my Zone 8 farm for State Land. Also, it has been sometime since I have hunted the area and according to the things I read on this and another board, the hunting has been poor over the last decade in Zone 4. It still brings back alot of good memories everytime Im in the area..Drinks at GYPS, Checking deer and grabbing a dog at the same time at Jumboland and sleeping in the leantos. Good Memories..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah zone 4 does have poor hunting for deer and bear, zones 1,2,3,& 5 are better

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
BHC,
Signed onto NJH last week and just came across this post. I have been hunting Z4 since 1990, dabbling in Z6 a few times, but primarily hunt off Old Mine Road just south of Jaeger Rd. Mostly up on the ridge. You start hunting an area and get so familiar with it that is becomes your extended backyard (without the deer or turkey!). But nonetheless, I still enjoy it up there.
I've taken two does during recent doe days and took a decent 6 pointer opening day of M/L 2003. Where I like to go is the same place many other hunters visit as well. You can tell from sign and candy wrappers! That year I knew there was a 6 point up running around up there and planned going out with the M/L before the rush of shotgun season. Took him at 9:30 @50 yards. Pretty happy that day!
Since then, haven't seen any bucks and have yet to go out this season. Plan on doing some scouting tommorow however.

Good luck this season!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hunt z4. Been up there for almost 20 years. Not so much action the past few years. Last Saturday I grunted and rattled in 3 decent bucks. One was a 6, one an 8, and the third I couldn't get a good count. I'm headed back up this Saturday.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Same here, been hunting Z4 for almost 20yrs, started out hunting the gasline off of 521 by Jankowski Road(well, we called it Jankowski Road), past few years have been spent on Old Mine Road. I usually hunt between Jager Road and the graveyard at the end of Old Mine where 560 intersects before you get to the Dingmanns for deer and hunt the whole Milford/Dingmanns stretch during turkey.

Didn't see any bears this year on Old Mine and I missed a huge buck during extended bow, he was hot on a doe going about 90 and I shot in front of him, got a doe during bow and a real big doe this past saturday with the smokepole.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Ill be a first time zone 4 hunter this year. Im a northcentral Pa hunter for the most part and friends have told me the terrain is pretty comparable. Ive only hunted south jersey for the last 20 or so years and its pretty flat. My family is from Clearfield county pa. Im used to big woods hunting and am really looking forward to deer and bear in z4. I hike 2.14 miles one way to my spot in Pa and people think im crazy but ive pulled some nice buck out over the years from there. i plan on taking a week in October to scout as much as possible in z4.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hunted zone 4 in stokes for years and have taken some of my best bucks out of that area we hunt off of the dirt road just befor buttermilk falls lots of nice dear in that area good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been hunting zone 4 for 20 years always get something off old mine road. My father is a fixture on old mine road huning their for over 40 years lol. Good luck with the bears they are everyware

1 - 19 of 19 Posts