New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple buffie blocks I would like to carve eventually, anybody around monmouth county with a little carving experience, just want to watch a few of the basics and a few of the tools, some saturday or sunday.
feel free to pm
thanks
jeff

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jeff, a good place to ask is the Toms River decoy show which I think is next weekend or the weekend after, maybe do a search. Also, might find something offered at the Tuckerton seaport. I carve decoys as well, but am a little farther south - maybe after the season. I carve old school,drawing knives spoke shaves etc. What type of wood do you have?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm sure there are many books and web sites, but first hand info would be best.

Plan your carving. Solid blocks, hollow blocks, head position..... Layout your pattern on 1/2x1/2 grid paper for detail, side,front and top. Cut out and attack with a rasp and file anything that dosen't look like a duck! Do a prototype first. Make heads and keels seperatly, Keep feather profiles low, but carve them in. It adds a lot of detail, Class. Allow more time than you think you'll think you need. Sign, number and be proud of your work. Don't point out what you think are flaws, others will never see them( they will be to impressed). Wood deeks are very heavy but very satisfying to use when you have made them yourself!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe after the season. I carve old school,drawing knives spoke shaves etc. What type of wood do you have?
The wife ordered 3 pre cut cedar blocks with heads, and a few hand tools, after looking around I guess the best way to start is just shaping the first into a working decoy. pucknut if you have time after the season just send a pm

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jeff

Guy named Chip Alslop (spelling) has carved a lot in Monmouth. I have a couple spreads from him. He is in point pleasant. Ocean Co though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Chip is my best friends step father, he isnt carving anymore dont even think he has the shop anymore i have a bunch of decoys of his too, but they will not be gunned anymore cuz they will be worth some big bucks in years to come.He taught me how to carve but with the new baby its been hard to get out to the shop

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jeff,
I'm a member of the NJ Wildfowl carvers and we have meetings first Wednesday every month in Red Bank. Great place to meet and learn from some great woodcarvers. The club is hosting the Tom's River Decoy Show next weekend, stop by at the booth there when you have time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts