New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it appears that my chickens, Rhode Island Reds, have ALL stopped laying eggs at the same time. All during the winter, I kept a heat lamp in their coop and turned on. Once the temps rose above 35 during the evenings, I removed it. Matt isn't the best at taking care of them, but in my absence, he was all they had. Anyway, about three days before I returned home, they simply stopped laying eggs. Now, I made sure that there was enough Laying Mash before I went away. 4 hens, and there have been no eggs in over a week. Mike and I searched the fenced in yard, under every nook and cranny to see if maybe they decided to start laying somewhere else, and nothing. I even kept them locked in the coop until 4pm yesterday, and nothing.

Anybody out there know anything about raising chickens and why they would ALL stop laying eggs at the same time? They are all exactly one year old and do not appear to be moulting, and the rooster, from what I can see, is certainlly not slacking on his duties, even thought I know that they do not need him in order to lay.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
DAMN must be Union chickens :D

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Just teasing ;) Welcome Back Robin, sounds like it maybe chicken for dinner soon [tasty]

·
Registered
238 Posts
They could have been scared (fox, dog ) . They will start again in a few days and ramp back up. This is all provided they are not starting a molt. How long have they been laying?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
yeah had that problem once before, dont remember exactly the cause, but think it had to do with nutrition. Was told to feed them only mash for a couple days, nothing else, and they should start laying in couple days.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
They may be eating their own eggs. Sometime due to a vitamin deficiency they will do this.
Feed them some crushed oyster shells (feed stores have it). It can't hurt.
Ours get nothing but cracked corn. And leftovers - Stale bread, donuts, and sometimes the SCIENCE experiments you find GROWING in the back shelf of the Frig. :p

THEY WILL EAT ANYTHING.

God help the mouse or Hop Toad that gets in the pen. Talk about attack mode !!! Ive also seen them eat their own droppings...

Yea, so remember that the next time you go to KFC, or order Eggs over easy :D

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link ducati. As I mentioned, I had a heat lamp, one of the red ones in there all throughout the winter and they laid eggs all winter for me. They are exactly a year old and have been laying since about the beginning of November. They all look healthy and I only feed them laying mash, except they do eat the grass and bugs (I assume) that they can scratch up. There's always the possibility that although Matt swears he feeds them, unless you follow behind him, maybe they've been living on a lot more grass and a lot less laying mash lately.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mom has told me that they used to crush up the chicken's own shells and feed it back to them. I guess I can only make sure that they're getting the proper food and see what happens this week while I am here to keep a close eye on everything.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$1.29 a dozen at Shop Rite
I know, but it's not the same, and the Shop Rite eggs don't even taste as good, really . . .

·
Registered
238 Posts
If they are eating the eggs there will be yolk mess all over. Chances are they got scared and will come back in to it in a week. Don't worry about it and yes feed them all of your food scraps they will love them and do well with the extra calcium.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a hundred of the damn things, all free range and fed only food waste from a school cafeteria and what they scratch up. $4.25 doz and I can't keep them on the shelf in front of my farm people know what a good egg tastes like. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
could be your birds are not used to your son and could have been stressed by him. also the older the birds get, less eggs you get as well. always feed them well,and supply grit for them.
good luck[up]

Franco............[smoke]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Franco, Matt is their primary caretaker and he's the only one that the rooster doesn't attack and try to spur. I have to walk into the yard with a baseball bat in my hand or I get attacked.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have to walk into the yard with a baseball bat in my hand or I get attacked.
Snatch him up by his back legs and give him a good shake.. He will come down on the food chain a little.. If he continues to be a pain in the ass.. Eat him and forget it.. you don't need him anyway. Unless you don't have an alarm clock[hihi]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.