1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, bear with me.

First of all 2C:39-5 says you need a FID to possess a rifle:

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
However, this does not apply to "antique firearms":

d. (1) Subsections c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 do not apply to antique firearms, provided that such antique firearms are unloaded or ...
And an "antique firearm" is defined as:

"Antique Firearm" means any rifle or shotgun incapable of being fired or discharged; or which does not fire fixed ammunition, regardless of date of manufacture; or was manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available, and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value.
Now, my Omega muzzleloading rifle does not fire "fixed ammunition" (that being "a projectile and powder inclosed together in a case ready for loading").

So, if I am reading the law correctly, I don't need a FID for my muzzleloader under any circumstance, regardless if I am going to or from a range, or hunting, or whatever.

Anyone know for sure or have any practical experience with this? When I bought my Omega they wanted to see the FID card at the store but didn't do a NICS check because it wasn't necessary.

EDIT:

Ahh never mind the answer is in the wording: "and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value."

Since I don't possess my muzzleloader as a curiosity or ornament etc, it doesn't qualify.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
In NJ they make up the firearms laws as they go along.

While a modern muzzleloader may fit the 'antique' description in part, it does not apply in whole.

No dealer in the state wants to lose their business because of a technicality.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
so how do b-b guns far in to all this b-s
1- you'll shoot yer eye out!:p

2- you need an FID to purchase a bb gun because some overcautious libs think everyone that owns a bb gun will harm themselves or others.

The almighty State has spoken, now return to work and provide the NJ Legislature with more tax money.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Black Bellamy,

I'm guessing this question is a hypothetical since you most likely have a FID card. It does raise a good question though. What if you bought a muzzleloader that was new, but just really expensive. Would that qualify under this rule?

This is so true.

David

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Now, my Omega muzzleloading rifle does not fire "fixed ammunition" (that being "a projectile and powder inclosed together in a case ready for loading").

So, if I am reading the law correctly, I don't need a FID for my muzzleloader under any circumstance, regardless if I am going to or from a range, or hunting, or whatever.

it's covered by this definition;
"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic
rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile,
ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the
action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any
firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the
propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or
is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
sufficient force to injure a person.

and here it mentions the FID requirement;

13:54-1.3 Firearm identification card or permit to purchase required
(a) No person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer, shall receive, purchase or otherwise acquire
a rifle, shotgun or antique cannon, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless that person possesses and exhibits a valid
firearms purchaser identification card. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of a rifle, shotgun
or antique cannon to a person other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer unless the buyer or receiver
possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card."

Those that receive a muzzy in the mail by ordering from a company are violating state law.
also you do not have to have your FID with you while transporting the muzzy to the range or to hunt.
it is required to purchase it.

no it's in the letter of the law as indicated above.

so how do b-b guns far in to all this b-s
it means the definition of a firearm as stated above...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts