New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a billboard on rt1 yesterday in S.Brunswick with a picture of a child playing in a tree and a arrow with a broardhead next to her with the caption below sayig "Trenton politicians want bowhunting in her backyard protect safety zones.www.safebackyards.com"

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
I seen a billboard on rt1 yesterday in S.Brunswick with a picture of a child playing in a tree and a arrow with a broardhead next to her with the caption below sayig "Trenton politicians want bowhunting in her backyard protect safety zones.www.safebackyards.com"
yup! thats right down the road from my house. i see it alot and every time i laugh at it...[wallmad]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
The question here is how do you set the record straight when they spend a ton of $$$ to put these up?

A thing like this creats FEAR amoung those with little to no knowledge of what bowhunting is there WILL be kids killed in POOLS,On the ROADS, with TOASTERS and with any variety of HOME CHEMICALS but a sign like this will cause some to PANIC and contact their legislators the longer this bill takes to get voted on the longer misinfomation programs like this bill board have to do their job.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Missinformation can only be fought with the Truth. That requires not only that we maintain our vigilence, but that we spend $$$ too. The affect of this billboard can be counteracted simply by having a "perpetual watch" at the billboard from sun up to sundown with one or two guys waiving big hand held signs that say "THIS BILLBOARD IS A LIE" "ASK US FOR THE TRUTH" those persons should cary fliers politley informing the public that bow hunting is safer than badmitten and ping pong, and site the statistics from the National Safety Council. Hand those fliers out to all that ask for them

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The question here is how do you set the record straight when they spend a ton of $$$ to put these up?
Contact your representatives and educate them, point out the misinformation that these groups try to spread and inform them as to why the perimeter reduction is a good bill that addresses safety concerns while being effective as a deer management tool. Also, point out that other nearby states, such as PA, have the 150' bill in place already and have not had any safety issues involving the non-hunting public. Ultimately, the politicians are the ones with the power to pass this bill or vote it down, not the public.

As for the public, letters to your local newspaper highlighting the same points. Look at the type of letters that the anti's typically write and look at what a well-thought out, clear, concise letter from a hunter looks like. The anti's always write the same lies and emotional drivel that we are used to seeing. We have science and reason on our side. It's amazing when you appeal to common sense and sound reasoning how you can win an arguement. We may not have the money that these groups have, but we have the numbers and we have a voice.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MTH sounds like you have a good idea.I happen to lease the land that the billboard sits on or at least a few feet from it.If you would like to try and get something going please let me know

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Grits thanks for the advice I learned a lot just now.

Please tell me in the past I have writen letters to the editor correcting these lies but they seem to trigger a 5 to 1 responce resulting in even more lies being perpetuated were are the other guys who are willing to get the truth and facts out?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Grits thanks for the advice I learned a lot just now.
I can sense your sarcasm.;)

Please tell me in the past I have writen letters to the editor correcting these lies but they seem to trigger a 5 to 1 responce resulting in even more lies being perpetuated were are the other guys who are willing to get the truth and facts out?
You're right, I've seen the letters that you have written and there's always more anti letters than pro letters. Hunters, especially in NJ, are traditionally guilty of sitting by and doing nothing and then bitching about the repercussions later, MYSELF included. I just wrote a letter this week addressng some of the recent rash of anti letters that have been in the democrat. I didn't get it in for the Monday deadline so it won't be in this Thursday's paper but hopefully next week.[up]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
BTW John, my original post wasn't addressed at you. You threw out a general question and I gave a general answer not to you but to anyone reading this post hoping to get more people to get involved in this process. Like I said, at times I'm guilty of not doing enough myself but I have written letters and contacted my reps in the past and I encourage others to do the same. In this day and age, it's whoever screams the loudest that is going to be heard.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
That's a huge broadhead
think it's a one million grain muzzy [rofl] difficult to shoot accuratly unless your bow is tuned up & your arrow is spined correctly ;)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
think it's a one million grain muzzy difficult to shoot accuratly unless your bow is tuned up & your arrow is spined correctly
Yeah but the blood trail is awesome![rofl]

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dont argue with fools, you have to stoop to their level to speak to them. As for the general public, we know when an opportunity comes up, be it at church, the bar, the WaWa, when that billboard comes up in conversation we can use the facts in the "corrected" picture. Its actually a good thing. Most people that I know know I hunt. Theres a good chance they will bring up some propaganda the antis polute the media with. Then with them bringing it up first, I can rationally dispute the lies, and probably make a friend to hunters along the way. All at the monetary expense of the antis.

·
Registered
946 Posts
That's one mighty big shaft and broadhead, did the state legalize something I don't know about??? Does cheyanne mountain carry those shafts??? Damn thing can take down a plane![rofl]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts