New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave sat. for a week of Antelope hunting in Douglass,Wy.Will be hunting with the bow. Has anyone hunted antelope before? This will be my first time. Some people told it will 10-14 hours in a blind,if so I`ll be ready.I`am been shooting everyday for the past month. Neighbors think Iam crazy with shooting in 90 degree weather with heavy clothes on. Was told that the weather can change in a matters of hours.Boy, is my blood flowing, dont know if I can sleep till a get there.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Good luck. I hunted antelope near Douglas four years ago. Beautiful country - purple mountains and all. I hunted with a rifle though so I can't say anything that would be helpful.

You'll find that the pronghorns CAN jump fences when they want to - contrary to popular folklore that they don't. You'll see some great mule deer and plenty of magpies. Maybe you'll get lucky and bump into some sage grouse too.

There are plenty of antelope out in Wyoming. I can tell you that you probably need some patience.

Good hunting
Ant

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Since I have just returned from a trip to Montana, I feel that I am qualified to give you some good advice !
Change your airline ticket to a ONE WAY TRIP. You won't want to come back :D
It's a different world out there, and you will enjoy the change.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT !!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
[up]

good luck and take lots of pics!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
good luck and take lots of pics!
Yes, please do![up]

*Disclaimer, I have never hunted antelope, and I didnt stay in a holiday inn last night, but I have watched a few videos, and read some articles.

So, from what Ive heard, the antelope dont care about the blind (it could be smack dab in the middle of nothingness), but they have binocular vision and can see the slightest movement. They love to move all day, and arent nocturnal in the least, so you will have a chance all day long. They use the same watering hole over and over.. So I hope you can get on the watering hole they are visiting and post some pics of the monster 'lope you get!!! Oh and watch for lopes behind yours, because of the p [no swearing please] throughs, those things are easy to blow through with an arrow. (especially with todays modern equipment.

BEST OF LUCK!!! CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PICS![up]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
have a great hunt!!!!!
I lived in Riverton, Wy in the early 70's. I don't remember it getting to cold this time of the year. You could see a fast moving snow storm roll in but they don't last long. The wind will be blowing. It never stops in Wyoming LOL

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Rut... I'm heading to Douglas myself in two weeks...

Hunting on The Smith Ranch, where are you hunting?

As for the weather.. this early it shouldn't be too cold. The Mid day temps will most likly be in the 80's. Early morning for the most part can be in the 60's or so I do remember one instance where there was a frost...Be ready for 90's of a high and possible 40's pre dawn but warming up quick.

Good Luck, Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The blood is pumping,less than 24 hrs. till takeoff.All packed and ready to go.Everyone thanks for the support,and for those going to the picnic have a good time.
I will be hunting at the spearhead ranch? Has anyone been there?
The weather forecast call for showers til tues. morn. then mid 80`s for the rest of the weeek.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Rut... did you apply for a Deer tag also?

I hope ya did. 2 animals is a definatly possible there.
I never hunted Spearhead but I have friends who have.
I've been hunting The smith ranch for the last 10 years or so. You'll drive through the smith on the way to Spearhead.. Good Luck... you'l have a blast.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
In the Town of Wright, You can buy a DOE permit and hunt on a golf coures. It was on Kieth or his brother ( cant think of his name )show..

If you get a Buck and still hunt time and not to far You might want to look in to it.

GUess I'm to late on this post...Sorry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry on the delay, Was a sucessfull hunt for us. Will try to post some pictures. Besides the hunt,shoot at parrie dogs was great. Thought is was going to be easy but was wrong. Did connect on seven of them,sorry no opics of them. lets get to pics.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts