New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An "ugly dog" photo-op after our day out today. Lots of woodcock around, as expected. Had fun working the dog on our club land and it will be sad to see the semi-wild pheasant season end tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
What a happy looking dog.

·
Registered
177 Posts
hey setter havent put up any woodcock this spring yet but have put up grouse everytime i run last year was a great hatch but idk how this year is going to be we had a really cold winter n ice n snow we will sure find out come spring

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This area used to hold grouse as well, but the last one seen in these woods was in 2006. Here's a woodcock point from this morning. I finally got a picture where the bird was visible, sitting right in that deer trail:

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Looking good K. And yes....where have all the grouse gone....:(

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where have all the grouse gone
I hear ya T. No grouse unless you drive a couple hours from here. And yet you and I know they used to be close by us. Heck, when I was a kid we used to see them in River Vale back along the Hackensack in the 60's along with copious quantities of woodcock.

There's only one area I know still that consistently has grouse in it up in Sussex, and I've seen them in there the last three years now.

To get there, you have to go down the road a ways, make a left turn at the rock that looks like a bear and then a hard right turn at the bear that looks like a rock.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
used to be tons of grouse at Wanaque, in the late 80's early 90's, now? not a one. last one I saw was there was in 93'

·
Registered
177 Posts
smitty pm me is your dog pointing with a 11 to 12 o clock tail if the style is bad then its in the genes smitty im having a awesome litter have alot of money invested just in this breeding with gas stud hotel and time have alot of top kennels in the country waiting for one very hard to breed with the sire the owner doesnt breed with just anyone let me know

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dog pointing with a 11 to 12 o clock tail
It's funny how the 11 to 12 o-clock tail (even 1 o-clock) has evolved over the years. I've got some old American Field's from the 60's that show champion Setters from the early 1900's pointing with a stance anywhere from 9:30 to 10:00. Tastes changes and the styles are bred to follow.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
the dog looks like he had a great time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.