New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All across New Jersey, townships have stepped over the line when it comes to NJ Firearms ID cards and Pistol Permits. ANJRPC has documented numerous abuses of the law by officials supposedly responsible for complying with it. For example:

Mr. A. was unable to receive an application for a pistol permit without an interview with the Police Chief (unnecessary per NJ law). Needless to say, the Chief was never available.

63-year old Mrs. B. went to her local police department to apply for an FID. They said to her “You’re old and don’t need to have a gun – Go home”

Mr. C. went to have his fingerprints taken only to be told that “We’re out of ink. Come back next month”

When Miss D. asked if Grief Counseling (after the loss of her parent) was a problem, police told her that her application would be rejected because of “Mental Health issues”

Mr. E. applied for multiple pistol permits only to be told that two was the limit.

ANJRPC will not sit idle as long as officials fail to perform their duty or worse yet, stand in the way of honest law-abiding gun owners. If you feel you are being given the “run around” or being stone-walled by your local officials, give us a call. ANJRPC will not allow NJ officials to trample your rights. We all know how tough it is already in NJ to own guns – Local officials creating their own version of the law is certainly no help! All of the above cases were resolved favorably for the individual and our actions should help prevent reoccurrences in those areas. But we depend on YOU, the Gun Owner to point out these problems. If you need help, or know of an issue with your town, please call ANJRPC’s Legal Affairs Committee Member Mike Bodner at (973) 293-8239.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
that is why I am member #33 of ANJRPC! They are our Big broather watching out for all gun owners! go to the website and join.

sorry....it is: www.anjrpc.org

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
There are no excuses for those type of responses. But as I have said before, many times it's the applicants fault in one way or another that things are delayed.

But the above examples are just out of line.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More often than not it's the municipality dragging their feet. If it's taking more than 30 days call the number above!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I tried calling the number above but i got no response i have been waiting two months for my ID card. I have called the police station and they never get back to me. Anyone have any advice? Should i get a lawyer?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep calling the number listed above. Also keep calling your local police. Call everyday, ask to talk to the Chief. Squeeky wheel.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
It took my father and I quite a while. When my father got hold of the firearms officer he found out that one of the reference had not sent the reference letter back. His reference does not agree with gun ownership. His fault. Found someone new and got it within a week. My problem was similiar, but I was working for the police at the time and called my reference who had misplaced the letter. My experience from the police end shows 2 major hang ups. #1 reference letters, #2 FBI fingerprints. The state and mental health checks normally come back pretty quick. The towns don't normally go after the people that don't send things back unless you call them. Also, sometimes clerks don't put the completed file in the completed bin. Seen that a few times before too.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It took my father and I quite a while. When my father got hold of the firearms officer he found out that one of the reference had not sent the reference letter back. His reference does not agree with gun ownership. His fault. Found someone new and got it within a week. My problem was similiar, but I was working for the police at the time and called my reference who had misplaced the letter. My experience from the police end shows 2 major hang ups. #1 reference letters, #2 FBI fingerprints. The state and mental health checks normally come back pretty quick. The towns don't normally go after the people that don't send things back unless you call them. Also, sometimes clerks don't put the completed file in the completed bin. Seen that a few times before too.
All the excuses in the world equates to one thing, there is a law, it states the police must make a decision within 30 days for residents. The police of all people should follow the laws.

I don't care what the excuses are, if I break the law I can't justify it with a million excuses, either should they.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
IF the police in your town stopped a driver with a driver's license that was expired six weeks, or insurance or a registration that expired six weeks ago, would they let the guy go?

HELL NO.

Then why do they expect to tell us to "sit and wait" when they're six weeks late on complying with state law?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Depends on the officer.

The town should not have taken your FID card until the new one was issued. Atleast, that is the way we do it where I am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts