New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post about bone handled knives made by another member made me think that maybe somebody would like to see my latest engraved powder horn. The first few pics are before dyeing to show the scrimshaw a little clearer. My scratchin' skills could use some practice, but it's not bad for one of my first horns.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Very Nice. [up][up]

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lookin good Eric.Nice job.I just started one yesterday.I've been to two PP shoots in Feb,or guys did great.George

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice horn but lets hear abot that beauty in the last pic.To bad its backwards,dam lefty
Thanks, everybody!

The gun is a 20-bore fowling piece built by Richard Avance of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you use to engrave with?
I use a Coulter Precision scribe. He sells on eBay, but I see he doesn't currently have any listed. If you're interested, I can post a picture of my scribe and give you the contact info that I believe I still have.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you do home made tattoo partys ??
Nope, no tattoo parties. [rofl]

My deer are kinda crude, but are patterned after scrimshaw on original horns from the mid 18th century. Keep in mind, most original horns were engraved in the field by their owners using their knives or whatever else was available to scratch the horn with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts