New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
First deer(shotgun buck) I ever killed was at Amwell Lake. A house now sits were this was as this was before the house across the lake was built (many years ago). We also used to have some great rabbit hunting along and just below the dam. We also did some damage on geese and ducks. Those were the days.... I haven't been there in a long time so I can say what it's like today. The far corner should be ok if the surounding area doesn't have houses around it.

Good luck

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looking for some good State Land to hunt this upcoming season for deer with shotgun and muzzleloader. Any suggestions in either Hunterdon,Somerset,Warren or Morris]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
1shot there is alot of state land in those 4 counties. My suggestion is to go to the NJDEP's website and the Fish and Wildlife section. You will find a listing of all the WMA and topos of them. Pick one that is near you and take a look. I have had good luck on WMAs

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, lots of state land. My opinion 1shot: find some state land...do some scounting for deer, parking areas, and areas where guys tend to avoid (aka...beyond 100 yards past the parking lot). [smirk]

1shot - I'm gonna try bowhunting Black River WMA this year in Chester... you in?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Drag
Sounds good I hunted Black River about 15years ago. I seen some deer but had alot of hunting presure but its worth a try.I need to get out of middlesex county and try some new spots.Did you ever try Spruce Run?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
spruce run, talking about hunting pressure! i live about 2 miles from it and i don't even go there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Woj,
You got bears?
Did I meet you at the womens day at the range at Cherry Ridge Range a few years ago? My wife took the coarse and I met a guy that lives right by Spruce Run whos wife was also in it.He was telling me about the bears he saw in his driveway.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
no not me. you'ld never get my wife near a range or any kind of shooting. it causes alot of friction around here...lol

she's against hunting. i have 2 daughters now and one more on the way. i told her girls can hunt and fish and she says no way. we'll see...;)

ps: yes we do have bears!

·
Registered
177 Posts
My wife always had an interest in shooting so I guess its easier. The womans day at the range and a few other similar events at cherry ridge range are great. They give 2 hours of classroom type instruction, then bring the ladies out to the range for a few shots on the rifle(22) pistol(22) and shotgun. They have a lot of fun and its free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts