New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the rifle shooting, and looking to get some more ammo for my 308.

The question i have is, what should i consider when selecting bullet grain. should i go with 150, 165 or 180. I plan on hunting deer in PA, and not sure what i should go with.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I use 150's in my .308 for PA hunting. Other guys in the camp swear by 165's. It's personal preference really.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, have nothing to go on really besides some advice. I did sight in my rifle with 150 grain, and need some more ammo, so now is the time to decide what to shoot with and resight scope accordingly. Prob will just stick with the 150 grain.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
What ever you shoot better with. With that diameter bullet, 15 grains wont make much of a difference on deer.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Buy a few boxes of ammo, any weight will do. I would probably go with 165 grain since it is the closest to the NATO weight if you decide to buy a few boxes of that for plinking.
You do not need premium bullets for whitetail, any ammo will do just fine.
Out of few boxes, pick the one that groups best and use that for hunting. The rest could be used for plinking or sighting-in should you replace scope/rings etc..
BTW-I have had good luck with Black Hills 168gr. Match HP's.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Bullet doesn't matter it's all about shot placement. Doesn't take much to get past the thin skin of a whitetail. I punch through them with a PRB. Same goes for bow and arrow, put the bullet, ball or arrow in the right spot and they will go down fast.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Buy a few boxes of ammo, any weight will do.
I would agree with buying a few boxes of ammo but bullet weight does matter. If you're hunting deer, 150 grain will do... if you're hunting larger game like moose, 180 is the lightest I would go with.
I would probably go with 165 grain since it is the closest to the NATO weight if you decide to buy a few boxes of that for plinking.
The match grade for 30 cal is 168 grain. It will give the best accuracy at long range... so sticking with the 165 is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
as oneshotkill said its preferance, any of those will drop a deer without a problem. My advice would be to sight in your rifle using the same ammo/grain your going to hunt with so you dont have to worry about adjustments. I use Remington UMC's 150grain for target in my rem700

1 - 9 of 9 Posts