New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we went to get our christmas tree in the andover area today..i said to my dad, "hey why dont we drive by whittingham and see if we could find any pheasants..." we drive by and right off the bat i see a bird...i like to get out of the car and flush them up just for kicks..so i get out of the car and start walking towards them. i make a sound just to startle them up and out comes a hen and a [no swearing please] bird and the flew away farther into the WMA. so i get back into the car and a couple of minutes later i see a [no swearing please] bird in someones yard. we just keep driving by because im not gonna go onto someones yard. then a couple of minutes later, the a cool thing happened. we are driving and we see snow flying around and there are two birds flapping around. i get out of the car just to see what it is and guess what. its a hawk attacking a hen bird. as soon as i started walking towards them, the hawk flies away. i walk over the hen (thinking its dead by now) and im standing over it. i pick it up to see where it has been wounded and the head all of the sudden bobs up and it starts flapping. i let it go and it starts flying away. it flies about another 10 or 15 feet and falls. i walk over to it and it just lets me pick it up. so i grabbed it and put it in a hedgerow near some thick brush. it was pretty cool how i was able to pick it up when it wasnt even wounded or anything...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have one question? do you guys think the bird was wounded and was just in shock from the hawk attack? its pretty odd that the bird let me pick it up. and also, how long do stocked birds usually survive? i didnt think so many would survive after the snow...[confused]

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Snow doesn't bother them Mack,hawks and other predators do.They aren't brought up in the wild so they don't really know what to look for.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snow doesn't bother them Mack,hawks and other predators do.They aren't brought up in the wild so they don't really know what to look for.
never thought of it that way...i always assumed that they were aware of predators. i wish i took pictures of that hen being attacked by the hawk. it was so cool. but id rather have the hen survive then the hawk. the hawks are the ones stopping the survivors from starting a native population. i know that hen is dead though. when i put the hen in the hedgerow, the hawk was flying around overhead.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Mack have you ever been to the pheasant farm? Where they raise the birds for the state. They are in a HUGE pen that is covered so they can't get out and nothing can get in. So they don't know of any predators out there.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know that but i always assumed that its natural for them to be aware of predators wether or not they are natural or pen raised.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D those birds today werent as skidderish as they usually are. i got within 10 feet of the [no swearing please] bird and the hen until they finally flushed. they didnt even run. they just walked casually. i think the hen couldnt fly because it had no more feathers left on the tail. my friend raises birds and he says if the tail feathers are plucked out just a little, they cant fly for 10 feet.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Mack, if i was you i would be going hunting tomorrow, you might just limit out. Seems like you know where they are hanging out.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got school tomorow..but if you are going tomorow to whittingham, ill give you the exact locations of where i saw the birds today and in the past...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my brother went hunting at whittinham and got those same two birds. the sichuan [no swearing please] bird and the hen. i will post pix of the sichuan [no swearing please] bird. it is a beautiful bird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts