New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed that the state has put alot of hens out this year...ive gotten almost all hens this year along with my dad and bro..anybody notice this?

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I haven't been pheasant hunting this year. While driving to deer hunting locations I have been seeing lots of [no swearing please] birds along the road in the Flatbrook area.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on saturday we shot 11 hens and one [no swearing please] bird..wish theyd put more roosters out in whittingham..here is a pic...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you...just wish she would hunt good...i shot a bird and she ran over to it and started sniffing the air but didnt even realize she was literally stepping on it...this is her first year though..she has flushed up birds but were not sure if it was by accident or she saw or smelled them...

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
There have been allot more Roosters then hens at the Flatbrook. Well, at least we got more roosters then hens so far. Mack, do you have an experienced dog to hunt with? So your pup can hunt with and learn from. My brother and I have German Shorthairs and this guy we hunt with got an English Pointer in January or February of this year. He hasn't hunted much but he is only 1 year old, I think. And his owner has never trained him. Just from hunting with our dogs he has improved so much already. Think of it this way, Where and how did you learn to hunt. From someone who already knows how to, Dad, Brother, Uncle,etc.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Just from hunting with our dogs he has improved so much already
I believe this. I did to get my pup a little better before heading to the field though.

Mack, so far this year I have 2 hens and 1 [no swearing please] bird. The last time I went my cousin and I saw 5 hens and 2 cockbirds. Seems like more hens. I too hunt Flatbrook.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Best way to train the dog is to train the dog. That means working with the dog all through the off season with birds (pidgeons, quail, chuckars etc) so they know what they are doing.
A lot of work goes into training a dog. I was lucky, my first dog was trained by a friend who passed away. My second dog took me a lot of time and effort to get her going. She's good now but could be better.
My 3rd one is broken and still learning. Coming along though.

There are 2 schools of thought on the older dog teaching the younger dog. The first is the young dog should learn to hunt on it's own so that it doesn't become a backup or secondary dog and not good on it's own.
The other thought is let it learn. All I can say is my breeder goes with the first and it worked very well on my second dog that I trained.
Another main factor in the training is exposure to birds in the field. Take the dog hunting and expose the dog to as much field time as possible.

Oh yea, we've been shooting more hens at Flatbrook too.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
TJC I am going up on Wednesday afternoon. You up for an afternoon hunt?

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Best way to train the dog is to train the dog.
I agree 100%, But when hunting it doesn't hurt to have an experienced dog around. Training only goes so far. You introduce the dog to birds. But mostly everything should come natural to him/her. (if it has a good gene pool) I trained my dog by myself. And we taught each other. As the dog gets older and hunts more, it learns more. Experience is the key. Every year my dog gets better and better.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
TJC I am going up on Wednesday afternoon. You up for an afternoon hunt?
I actually have to go to work Wednesday. One of 3 days I have left this year to work. :D[up]

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mack, do you have an experienced dog to hunt with?
actually we do...we hunt with a guy that didnt train his dog...the things awesome...its the dog that found the 12 birds in the pic on the first page. this year is the dogs first hunting season...i hunted last year but all it did was run around but no this year...

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Really mack? I did not get a lot of birds this year as it's Attila's first year but he did flush up a few and all were roosters I got only four so far all at whittingham and all were roosters. If work gose fast I'll be there friday.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Flatbrook this AM produced 2 hens and 2 roosters in 2 hours. I shot one of each.
The other birds I saw shot were about a 50-50 mix.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
As most WMA's, tough to hunt without a dog. I wouldn't have gotten any of the birds up today let alone scored if it weren't for "The Girls".[up]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
What kind of dogs do you have?
Drahthaars. Check out the pic in the small game update post for today. They are in their cages but you can see them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts