New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 2, 2009

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) New Jersey's swamps have yielded some strange things over the years. But everyone was surprised when an alligator was spotted in New Jersey's capital.

Wildlife officials finally trapped the 4-foot, 25-pound gator in Trenton's Stacy Pond late Tuesday night.

The reptile surfaced more than two weeks ago. Officials say a flurry of onlookers kept the gator away from the trap.

Environmental Protection Department spokeswoman Darlene Yuhas says the gator was lured into the trap with chicken legs and livers.

Yuhas says officials are calling zoos in the tri-state area to see if they would take the animal.

How the gator came to live in the pond is a mystery. Officials suspect it was someone's pet until it grew too big.

A fishing tournament scheduled for the weekend was canceled because of the alligator.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
what a surprise that would be if you showed up there at 10pm with chicken livers or heards looking to do some catfishing ahhaah "get the flashlight i got a monster on" [rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
crap i put him there couse i thought corzine might go swimming in that pond ,dam back to plan b[wallmad]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sweet! Good info to know. The put a picture in the break room where I work of the gator... the pond was apparently down the road from someone I work with! I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing the gator was caught :)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
crap i put him there couse i thought corzine might go swimming in that pond ,dam back to plan b
No you didn't. The guy that put that gator there did so because his live-in girlfriend couldnt take the smell of it and its tank anymore. Also, it just got too big for his tank. He lives in Trenton and he has no room for a larger tank for it.

I remember when he got it. Too bad he had to let it go, but, glad that they caught it. Hope it goes to a zoo and gets to live.

We had a lot of fun feeding different things to it, though [lol]

The news tonight said they are looking for a second one that's 5' +
I HIGHLY doubt that there is a second one there. Only one was let go by the "previous owner"..

Here is a video of the alligator from Trenton when he was still living at home :).

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
so since alligators are not mentioned in the fish and wildlife digest, could you legally take that beast if you were able to catch him?

Don't think so. It would most likely be off limits as a protected non game species.
I think you can. I remember a story a little while back about a Florida panther being shot by a Georgia hunter and it was legal because there were no laws against it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Officials suspect it was someone's pet until it grew too big.
Gee...and I thought it just migrated 1000 miles because of climate change confusion![eyeroll]

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
my mom lives right down the street. Word is the gator they caught doesn't match the size of the pics. I use to ice skate on that pond when I was a kid.
I think this is a classic case of over-exaggeration.

Jaws, and thats the name of the Gator that was caught, was under 5'. However, the people who "claimed" to have seen a "monster gator" likely saw Jaws and slightly exaggerate his size, to make the story sound good.

These people are likely sticking to their exaggerate story so that they dont look like idiot liars, when, in fact, there was never really a monster gator. Now, Jaws is a vicous little thing, but, he's no monster.

I HIGHLY doubt that TWO seperate people disposed of their pet gators in the same area, at the same time.

I know the guy who dropped this gator there and I know the gator- and I will tell you that he ONLY DROPPED ONE and ONLY HAD ONE.

With that said, he's been caught and hopefully makes it to a zoo.

Check out the link in my first response to this post to see a video of the exact gator that was captured in Trenton, before he was released by its owner.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I heard there is another about 9 1/2 long that has been eating kids.[lol]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.