New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a poll here, I have never had a client ask, but was wondering how many guys would be interested in hunting Alligator down south?

I have a outfitter in Florida who offers both public and private land Alligator hunts near lake okeechobee florida. He offers both regular and trophy alligator hunts as well. Apparently any gator over 9ft is a "trophy" gator. He sent me a link to a you tube video and it looks like fun.

I am considering heading down there in August or September for a couple days to do an evaluation hunt with him. If anyone wants to join me, let me know...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
I've lived in Florida for all together over 5 years or so, and I can say that they're all over the friggin' place, so I wouldn't really call it hunting, it's more akin to killing reptilian groundhog varmint! I imagine with the proliferation of those "Swamp People" type shows maybe outfitters are popping up to make this happen, but trust me, in Lake Okeechobee you're NOT going to get skunked, you're GOING to kill an alligator, lol. Even in central Florida outside Disney there are tons of alligator if you know where to go. Lay on a dock at night along the St. John's River with a flashlight on the dock and as you pan across the h2o you'll see tons of eye reflections silently moving across the water. Looks very much like how a deer's eyes shine in headlights, just a lot creepier!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Lived in FL for many years (actually still have the place), there are a lot of them. Used to catch nuisance gators with a treble hooks then relocate them. Definitely a different hunt & they are great eating!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
What I meant was are you able to keep the gators on the outfitted hunts? Don't know if its become a situation like tuna fishing Where because of the value the boat keeps the tuna, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Hell with the meat, if I hunt a gator I want the hide too!

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Definitely interested. Post the video please.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the feedback so far.

@pathman - you can keep it all...meat, hide, its yours to do with as you wish.

Here is a link to the video:

Kind of long, boring at first, not best kill shot as it is shot at night. Also, this is a video from a client who was a wanna be TV personality, took several attempts to get bang stick to go off...so it is not endorsed by this outfitter. This hunt was on public ground and via air boat. They also hunt private ground (all year, guaranteed tags), Safari style, (land vehicle, than walk and stalk with rifle). Archery is also possible as well as crossbows but you need to have your gear set up the right way...still learning about that.

Also, the outfitter's name and phone number is promoted in the video...Watlington Outdoors has NOT endorsed him yet...as I mentioned I am researching him, and gator hunting, to see if I want to offer these hunts to my clients. It looks like I will do an evaluation hunt with him in a couple of months?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Alligator is on my bucket list. Alligator is tasty!

·
Registered
14,779 Posts
Very interested and with a bow even though at the end I know you finish off with a 22[up]

SS!

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
What I meant was are you able to keep the gators on the outfitted hunts? Don't know if its become a situation like tuna fishing Where because of the value the boat keeps the tuna, that sort of thing.
Alligator really isnt that expensive, so no worries there.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You boys with the money and time should consider this. It really is a unique hunting experience ... being on the water and all.

Haven't done it much, but I have family in Louisiana (New Iberia gator zone) with gator huntable land, its a hoot. Easily worth the $150 non-resident gator sport license (or whatever it cost now).

And, it does taste good. Then again .... any meat tastes good in a great jambalaya or bisque or etouffee.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Lots of horror stories about guides taking clients to ponds in condo developments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts