New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doe hunting here over Thanksgiving? I think I'm going there Fri. and or Sat. It's been a long time since I've been over there. How's the deer population ?:)

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I have not hunted that since it was known as the Deer Park. It was good back then.

I have noticed a bunch of dead deer along I guess it's 517 this year though.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i used to hunt off waterloo road. but i haven't there in years. i think the deer hunting there just stopped. it used to be so good. it was main spot for maybe like 10 years or so.

·
11,226 Posts
Thats in zone 8 correct? I hunted there once when I was a kid. Saw a real nice buck there that day but man was there a lot of people there!
I have a zone 8 permit but I don't know what days I can get off to hunt. I'll be in Hunterdon County tomorrow am....

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I believe the other side of 517 which is across the street to the old Deer Park or the back side of Allumuchy Park is Zone 5. I'll be hunting there 6 day this year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i live in budd lake, allmuchy state park is right across the street from me. ill be checking it this week..tomorrow however, ill be in bedminster, hopefully tagging my fare before 0800....
good luck to those of you venturing out this week. becareful and always wear your harness..........[up]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
woj,
We were almost neighbors then. I used to enter from 517 but hunted out between Rt 80 at the top of the hill and Waterloo Rd. Great area in there. Just a real bi**h to get a deer out if you were in any distance.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have an awesome map of the Deer Park Area. It is what is called an orienteering map. Orienteering is a sport I used to participate in when I was younger. You mark pre determined checkpoints on the map. Then race on foot to each point using only the map and comp [no swearing please] for navagation. The fastest one through the course wins.

The map is super detailed accurately showing vegitation, rocks etc. It has much tighter contour lines than a USGS map It makes an ideal hunting map.

The one I have is old and creased. I think these type maps can be purchased at Campmor. Just don't tell them you want it for hunting since the majority of Campmor employees are anti's.

A group called Hudson Valley Orienteering used to sell these maps at their organized orienteering meets. I don't know if they still exist...I will Google them after I finish this post.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went there Friday morning. I parked in the second lot off of 517 and walked the road toward the lake.It's really thick back there. It was surprisingly void of hunters.I took a nub buck at about 7:15 and nothing else for the rest of the day.I talked to a few hunters who said the deer usually just bed down and won't move until you just about step on them. All in all it was a good day, got one for the freezer and I got to check out a new area.[up]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts