New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Alaska is a hunting and fishing paradise. Been there 5 times. I think I like the SE Islands of Alaska the most. Been to Denali National Park. Awesome.Flew over Mt. Mckinley. Fished the Talkeetna river for Kings. Hunted Prince of Wales Island for Black bears and Admiralty Island for Brown Bears.Next trip is going to be for Dall sheep. Always look forward to going back.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I went in July of 2010 for halibut and salmon. Going back this July. Fishing out of Thorne Bay on Prince of Wales Island. Boardwalk Lodge is where we go.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Used to go all of the time as a child... J/K, I'd like to go, it's definitely on my list.

Alaska is a hunting and fishing paradise. Been there 5 times.
What time(s) of year did you go, and, which time(s) would you recommend, Tom ?

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
The time of year you go to Alaska depends entirely on what you want to do. If your fishing for salmon, different species can be caught during different months starting in spring thru the fall. Bear hunts usually take place in spring and fall while deer hunts start in fall. If you want a family vacation and want to fish for the giant kings, towards the end of June would probably be the best time to go. Timing is everything on the runs just like the rut.You can usually charter boats during the summer months for the giant halibut.If you have time you really need about 2 weeks. Start out with a cruise(I am not much of a cruise person but I would definately do this one) through the Inside passage where you will see an amazing amount of wildlife.When I was Brown bear hunting on the ABC Islands, we were cruising around in these little 14ft inflatable Zodic boats. Whales would come up right next to the boat. Talk about some scary stuff.All the cruise ships would go right past us. Cruise up to anchorage area. Rent a car and drive the Alaskan Highway up to Denali National Park.On the way, An awesome place to stay is the Talkeetna wilderness Lodge. Your wife will love it. You can hire a guide to take you salmon fishing for the day. Flying up the Talkeetna river in a jet boat will get your heart pounding.Also you can charter a plane in Talkeetna to fly you around or over Mt. Mckinley. Awesome.Once you get to Denali, the only way to see the park is by bus. The biggest tour is 90 miles and takes like 8-10 hours. Well worth it. Sites and wildlife are abundant.We had a huge caribou bull walk right past the bus at 15 yards.If I go back, I want to ride the train thru the wilderness.After Denali you can drive the Alaskan Highway back down to Anchorage area towards the Kenai Peninsula and Seward and Homer. You could charter boats here also. Definately do the glacier cruise, all I can say is bring your cameras.When I get a chance I will dig up all my Alaska photos and post them up. This is an unbelievable place and everyone, even if you dont hunt or fish, has to see this place to really appreciate it. Pictures are nice but dont do it justice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check out Yakutat Lodge , they fish the Sea Tuck river and the ocean. Great pricing and food. Can do unguided and guided. You can use one of their drift boats each day if needed. Dont really need one, just drive down the only road there is , come to the river, and catch fish all day long. Great salmon fishery , but even better natural spring run of wild steelhead. Couldnt believe the number of steelhead in the river. Used a guide one day for ocean fishing, the halibut where the size of small cars.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
was there in July awhile back for trout on the Russian river,Red salmon on the Kenai and Halibut out of Homer.It was an incredible experience. Good luck

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I went the first week in July

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Define what you want to do who you want to do it with and how much time and money you have to do it with before taking others advice on what they THINK you want .
Alaska is a HUGE place with travel logistics being almost on the scale similar to GETTING to Alaska from the lower 48 and the weather can be in extremes even in the summer.
I STRONGLY recommend you purchase this book http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Fishing-Ultimate-Anglers-Deluxe/dp/1929170114
and the DeLorme atlas and Gazetteer to Alaska to get a good understanding of what is available to you there.
Many people have gone to the Keni peninsula and fished the popular rivers there and feel they have experienced Alaska in a way they have but in a way it is like driving the Turnpike and saying you have experienced NJ.
Alaska fishing(the book) breaks the state down to its different regions and their bodies of water, weather patterns and the calendars the different fish runs typically follow and also mentions some of the operators in those areas.
You can fly there and rent a car and get some good low dollar fishing but the best places are reached by plain or boat or sometimes both.
My personal favorite region of Alaska is the Alaska peninsula the quality of the trout and salmon fishing there is unsurpassed by few if any other places on the planet and the saltwater fishing is on a par with the rest of the state in my wife’s words “There’s no place like Bristol Bay!”
I have been there a few times most in Central and Southwest.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you enjoy flyfishing on different rivers.........take a look at bear creek outfitters in juneau (www.juneauflyfishing.com). Unreal fishing. Each day YOU WILL catch countless fish. Great fishing, expensive though. In this economy, try and haggle.I fished w/ them on 2 occasions and could not have been happier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts