New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year hunting up there and unfortunately it was a last minute decision so my scouting time has been minimal. I was up there all day today and didn't really see to much to get overly excited about. One thing I did notice was lack of food for them. Browse seems almost non existent and all of the acorns have been devoured. I spent most of the day looking around off of park ridge road and saw rubs here and there but only saw 2 deer all day. I was talking to one guy who said the best bet is just to walk in anywhere and sit and let the other hunters move the deer to you. Doesn't seem to exciting though. After a frustrating bow season thus far with a few blown oppurtunities I'm just looking for a nice fat doe to break the ice for me. Any advice for me as far as areas or type of terrain to check out would be greatly appreciated! Also I saw quite a few coyotes running around as well and was wondering if they are allowed to be harvested during this hunt. Thanks again for any tips you can p [no swearing please] on.

B

·
0 Posts
get in deep, and stay all day, hunters leaving for lunch will push the deer around

B

·
0 Posts
I hear there are some nice bucks in there... just not 50 yards from the parking lots.
thats why you have to get as far in as you can, and get in early, allow the hunters to also push deer to you

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks thats what I was planning on doing but its tough to sit in a spot all day when you don't have much confidence in it. I heard that the pipeline gets a lot of pressure so was thinking of setting up a little ways from there and having the guys popping in and out to send them my way.

B

·
0 Posts
If you know of an out of the way area thats thick, get up in a tree, sometime during the day the deer wiil come there

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
butch ill be up there as well....my advice is the same...alot of hunters there...when the shots ring out the deer beging to move fast...lunch time is good because of the hunters movement....and the pipeline....ALOT of hunter presence there

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
For lack of food find a low lying area or gully which usually stays green longer, and usually fairly thick. As the weather gets colder the deer will usually bed on the SW slope.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I'll be up there tomorrow, head DEEP and stay in all day, head for the swamp if you can. always see deer in there. tough hunting but worth it...
Good luck

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
well im back from 1 1/2 days at highpoint...shot 2 does and my buddy shot a decent 8....saw 4 bears so that was pretty cool...there could have been a trophy buck behind me and i wouldnt even have known...the bears were 25 yards away and had all my attention...hopefully ill get back up there this week

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Dawgs. Just talked to a buddy of mine whose been up there and all four in there group has taken a doe. Also said that the bucks are all over the place and of course lots of bears. His buddy shot a doe and when he went to retrieve it he saw a nice 8 standing over her. I guess he needs to find another girlfriend.lol... Anyway gonna head up there tomorrow and hopefully get a few hours in before the rain comes. Sounds like its gonna get nasty in the afternoon. Thats just my luck but ya never know. Good luck on getting your buck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just got back from there. I went with two buddies and we all shot does. I saw a few small bucks and had a shooter buck in range this AM, unfortunately I waited too long to take the shot, the doe he was with busted me at 75 yards and they took off.(wind was blowing straight toward them). One of my buddies missed a nice 8 this AM. I'll be going back Monday.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey Dawgs were you the guy with the white truck staying in the room next to mine at the High Point Inn? Asking, since they had 2 does and an 8 in the hitch haul.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts