New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife an I plan to get my 6 year old daughter a quad for Xmas but I can't decide if I should get a 50 or a 90 for her. She's pretty small for 6 so I'm leaning to the 50 but I'm not sure. When I was 6 and about her size my parents got me a Yamaha 100 and as far as I can remember I was fine. Anyone have any input on this? The ultimate plan is for her to learn on this bike then pas it to my 2 year old son when he's big enough and get her a bigger one.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I work on atvs on the side and I ride, I say go with a 90 but make sure it has a governer screw on the throttle assembly. You will be able to make it go to barely moving and slowly adjust it out as she gets the hang of it and grows into it. You can get Chinese brands cheap and they are pretty reliable and parts are becoming easier to get but if you have the cash, I'd get a honda or other name brand. They hold their value and will last much longer

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I planned on getting a real brand. If I didn't plan on passing it down to 3 dif kids I would possibly go china.

It's not the speed I'm worried about just more of her reaching the pegs and brake.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Best thing to do is measure from seat to the pegs on different brands. Some 90s are as small as 50s (use the same frame) worse comes to worse is you can always shave the seat foam down if she's having trouble. And almost all youth atvs have hand brakes along with a foot brake

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought my 6yr daughter a Polaris 90. It's great! The only thing I wish it had was a remote shutoff like the cheap Chinese atvs have. I was told I can remove a washer in the clutch to double the speed when she gets bigger.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
First suggestion having gone through this with my boys is don't buy some Chinese made piece of crap online once they break and they will finding replacement parts is a nightmare. 2nd there are plenty of quality used ATV's this size folks upgrade as their kids grow that you can get a good deal on you just have to put the time in and look. 3rd be cognizant of the difference between a 2 stroke 50 and a 4 stroke 50. The 2 stroke 50's rival the new 4 stroke 90's in regard to speed and power. Although the they can sometimes be a pia to start when it's real cold overall they are better performing machines. I know I have had one of each. Dinli, Eaton, Kymco are all solid well built machines that hold up to the test of time and abuse. Remember even if you go a bit larger on the CC you can adjust the speed and dial it down to rider ability until they are ready to move up. A quality machine will have these adjustments as well as a tether or remote kill switch so you can shut off the machine if you think you daughter is in trouble. I just came in from riding with my son he loves it. Good luck and if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts