New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the argueing going on, I am wondering what, you the hunter, considers to be an advantage, disadvantage, or unsportsmanlike when it pertaines to hunting. I just trying to see where people stand on these broad issues. Here are some examples I would use for this topic;

Advantage; Camo Clothing, Scent Eliminator, Climbing Stands, Practice Shooting,Scouting.

Disadvantage; Overcrowding, multi-purpous public land, Sometimes a deer drive.

Unsportsmanlike; Intentionally tresspassing, Poaching, Harvesting to much game where it would go to waste.

These are just some things off the top of my head to get the ball rolling. I am wondering where everyone else stands on these topics.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
trespassers should rot like road kill
poachers, the same.
thiefs, stand and camera stealers, karma will get you.
deer drives on public land should be stopped, i don't even hunt public land, but i feel for the guys that have too.
to me these are all unsportsmanlike.
the camo and scent game are just tools we use to hunt some of the most pressured whitetails in the country. it does help the average hunter.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
deer drives on public land should be stopped
If you dont hunt public land then what do you know about deer drives? I think NJH members drive every year...isnt there a member meet up where they drive?

It moves the deer, I've killed lots after the drivers go through and bucks sneak back through them.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thiefs, stand and camera stealers, karma will get you.
I forgot about the thieves.

isnt there a member meet up where they drive?
That was how I found out about this site. I met a bunch of guys during a deer-a-thon. I said drives are "Sometimes a disadvantage" What I mean by that is say you have a spot you plan on sitting most of the day. All of a sudden, a group of guys start driving and criss crossing the spot you wanted to sit at. What do you do. Sit, drive with them or move completely. Thats why I think it can "sometimes" be a disadvantage.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
If you dont hunt public land then what do you know about deer drives?
i used to hunt it. lets just say i'm not a fan of the driving clubs.
i have hunted private only for over ten years. from that land i can hear what is going on on the public land, what a shame. reduces deer to rabbits.
drivers ruin other guys deer hunts.
private land, do what you want. but public land shouldn't be driven.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is good so far. I just want it to be known, that I am not looking for all of us to fight on this thread, I am looking for everyones opinion. I know everyone has an opinion on a lot of these issues, so I'm just trying to find them. Remember play nice.:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with shooting sitting rabbits and sitting grouse. Thats what a .22 is for. And practicing head shots, and enough stealth to actually see them sitting still.

But I've never hunted as a 'social' activity. The concept of a half dozen guys and a dozen dogs going after rabbits with 12 gauge is nothing I want to do.

No - I'm not originally from Jersey. Never grew up with 'hunting clubs'.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Unsportsmanlike: Idiots blasting deer crossing signs with buckshot. Feeling the need to shoot a stocked pheasent 5-10 minutes before legal time. Especially those who do it on opening day.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
UNSPORTSMEN LIKE Hunter who knock other hunters for they way they choose to hunt.;)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
UNSPORTSMEN LIKE Hunter who knock other hunters for they way they choose to hunt.
i agree the best one yet[up]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unsportsmanlike - The first hour on Pheasant hunting on some WMA's.

Shooting ducks before or after shooting time

Seeing someone else set up and not giving them some room

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Unsportsmanlike
finding someone else in your stand in the morning

priceless
removing the ladder from beneath them while the are still up there

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My own take on beef's post. Unsportsmanlike: someone crowding you in the river while trout fishing. Priceless, casting at his feet and catching fish. Then asking if he's having any luck.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Unsportsman like;

Road hunters
Shooting a bird on the ground or water

Sportsman

help track a deer
help drag a deer
the guys driving on the NJ side of the state line (while I'm sitting on the NY side)[hihi]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Sportsmen: introducing someone to hunting/outdoors
Advantage: Probably 75% of the gear we own.
Unsportsman: not tracking wounded game, taking shots outside your range.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts