New Jersey Hunters banner

Advantage, Disadvantage, or Unsportsmanlike You make the call.

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  keahunter 
#1 ·
With all the argueing going on, I am wondering what, you the hunter, considers to be an advantage, disadvantage, or unsportsmanlike when it pertaines to hunting. I just trying to see where people stand on these broad issues. Here are some examples I would use for this topic;

Advantage; Camo Clothing, Scent Eliminator, Climbing Stands, Practice Shooting,Scouting.

Disadvantage; Overcrowding, multi-purpous public land, Sometimes a deer drive.

Unsportsmanlike; Intentionally tresspassing, Poaching, Harvesting to much game where it would go to waste.

These are just some things off the top of my head to get the ball rolling. I am wondering where everyone else stands on these topics.

#4 ·
trespassers should rot like road kill
poachers, the same.
thiefs, stand and camera stealers, karma will get you.
deer drives on public land should be stopped, i don't even hunt public land, but i feel for the guys that have too.
to me these are all unsportsmanlike.
the camo and scent game are just tools we use to hunt some of the most pressured whitetails in the country. it does help the average hunter.

#6 ·
thiefs, stand and camera stealers, karma will get you.
I forgot about the thieves.

isnt there a member meet up where they drive?
That was how I found out about this site. I met a bunch of guys during a deer-a-thon. I said drives are "Sometimes a disadvantage" What I mean by that is say you have a spot you plan on sitting most of the day. All of a sudden, a group of guys start driving and criss crossing the spot you wanted to sit at. What do you do. Sit, drive with them or move completely. Thats why I think it can "sometimes" be a disadvantage.

#8 ·
If you dont hunt public land then what do you know about deer drives?
i used to hunt it. lets just say i'm not a fan of the driving clubs.
i have hunted private only for over ten years. from that land i can hear what is going on on the public land, what a shame. reduces deer to rabbits.
drivers ruin other guys deer hunts.
private land, do what you want. but public land shouldn't be driven.

#9 ·
This is good so far. I just want it to be known, that I am not looking for all of us to fight on this thread, I am looking for everyones opinion. I know everyone has an opinion on a lot of these issues, so I'm just trying to find them. Remember play nice.:D

#10 ·
I'm perfectly fine with shooting sitting rabbits and sitting grouse. Thats what a .22 is for. And practicing head shots, and enough stealth to actually see them sitting still.

But I've never hunted as a 'social' activity. The concept of a half dozen guys and a dozen dogs going after rabbits with 12 gauge is nothing I want to do.

No - I'm not originally from Jersey. Never grew up with 'hunting clubs'.

#13 ·
UNSPORTSMEN LIKE Hunter who knock other hunters for they way they choose to hunt.
i agree the best one yet[up]

#19 ·
Unsportsman like;

Road hunters
Shooting a bird on the ground or water

Sportsman

help track a deer
help drag a deer
the guys driving on the NJ side of the state line (while I'm sitting on the NY side)[hihi]

#24 ·
sportman like-giving up your morning hunt to help a friend track last nights deer.
helping the landowner out that gave you permission to hunt their land.
unsportman like-finding the same guy trespassing for the forth time in a season.
using your badge to kick guys off land that did nothing wrong, or using it to gain property.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.