New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 4 or 5 night getaway in August. We are considering the Adirondacks but would not rule out other options.

Hoping to find a nice place to stay, ideally pet friendly. Perhaps something like renting a cabin or an efficiency. It would be me, the wife, and our two sons (ages 2 and 5).

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks![up]

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
lake george rv is exlnt for the kids a lil pricy and not super outdoorsy we go on our way every year up to saranac up there we stay at fish creek been going there since i was a newborn every year lake george is nice but kinda like being down the jersey shore if you stay in the village bolton landing is nice a lil more low keyt and defanatly a more mature crowd

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I'd look in the vincinity of Bolten Landing. Lots of places to stay on or off the mainland and plenty of amusements for the wife and kids. Maybe look into renting a boat and reserving a campsite on one of the islands. Always worked for us for years. My one buddy aleays brought his dog. You can always motor in to use the washing machines and showers if you don't want to rough it. There's a shop rite right up the road to boot.[up]
Check Narrowal Marina for more info.
http://norowalmarina.com/

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
JV, a retired friend of mine has a furnished cabin he rents out on a weekly basis.I've rented the cabin a couple of times in the past. It's located near Tupper Lake, NY (Adirondack Mts.). Saranac Lake and Lake Placid are within a half hour's drive. Lots to do. Fishing, hunting, hiking, boating. Send me a PM with your contact info. and I'll pass it on.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I used to whitewater kayak the Indian River and Upper Hudson every year. Just avoid May/June or those gnats will eat you alive! I mean they draw blood!!! Wonderful place the Addirondaks, I never did the lake george thing, I was WAY WAY off the beaten trail, in a little town with an A&P the size of a 7-11, 1 bar, a couple outfitters and cabin and campgrounds...and a few totem poles! LOL. GREAT PLACE!

·
Registered
120 Posts
ADIRONDACK BY OWNER,HOMEAWAY.COM are the websites i use.My favorite area is indian lake area and saranac region,just like to stay away from the tourist area of lake george but lake george is very little kid friendly.Check out TROUT HOUSE CABINS in Haag NY,north end of lake george,they have cabins from 1 to 5 bedrooms on the lake,beach,boats,bikes and family owned.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
been to lake george, too many people

stayed at a friends place near tug hill.
drove 4 wheelers all over, 150 miles in 3 days.

great time

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dusty makes a very good point about considering something little kid friendly. I've white water kayaked, hiked and canoed across most of the lower adirondacks and if you're looking for great fishing, boating, hiking and seclusion... it's a take your pick scenario. But with a 2 and 5 year old in tow, the more 'touristy' spots are going to have more for them. Lake George is the obvious choice, but if you're looking for something a little less crowded but also has some attractions for kids; I would also look into the Old Forge area.

I don't know a ton about it, but my buddy takes his two little ones to his grandparents campground on Schroon Lake and they seem to like it.

Really the answer depends on what your kids and wife like to do. I know that I would love to rent a cabin on a lake or take the family canoe/camping on the fulton chain of lakes, but the rest of my family.... not so much.

If they are on-board with the semi-out-of-the-way experience you may also want to look at Long Lake.

I know this probably spurs more questions than answers, but I hope it was a little helpful.

Good Luck, sounds like you have the core idea of a solid plan.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Lake George is the Seaside Heights of the Adirondaks. First week of June is a motorcycle rally in Lake George, and every road is loaded with them, so I'd avoid the area. Cool history lesson: On rt 28n in the Aiden Lair area there is a roadside marker. It's hidden pretty well so you have to look for it, it's on the right as you head north. It states more or less "On or about this site, Vice Pres. Roosevelt who was vacationing on Mt Marcy, was riding towards Albany on buckboard to take a train to Buffalo where President McKinley lay dying from an assassins bullet. He was met by two men, one a judge who informed him that the President had passed earlier in the day. It is here that Theodore Roosevelt was sworn in as the 26th President of the United States."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.