New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, another great trip was had up in the Adirondacks this past week. I went up from last Saturday until Friday. I was hoping for better weather conditions but as usual up there it changes on the hour. Wednesday was 62 degrees and 2 days later when I had to leave of course they had 2 inches of perfect tracking powder. A good trip was had and I once again covered a lot of ground. Found the most sign I have ever seen, totaling over 30 rubs and a dozen scrapes. We could just not catch up to these ghost bucks of the Adirondacks. I put up 2 cams over fresh scrapes I found a few weeks ago and bucks were visiting them every few nights but daytime activity was pretty much zero. I did miss a very large spike that popped out on a logging road at 50 yards. Took the Rem 742 auto using iron sights for a walk that day in some nasty weather and somehow missed him cleanly after letting some heavy lead fly. Lol. Another member missed an opportunity at a nice 6 and I also had another close call after jumping a bedded doe at close range. Perfect conditions, sun was in her eyes and she stopped and had no idea what I was for a few minutes. What I had noticed though when I jumped her was the sound of another deer she was with that I couldn’t see. He/she was held up in thick cover and after a stare down with the doe and trying to grunt this other deer out I never did get a glimpse of it. Only the flag as they took off together. Maybe a buck held up with a doe? I will never know, but that’s what keeps me coming back. I will be planning my trip later next year in hopes of snow and I think the rut really doesn’t get into high gear until the third week of November and even Thanksgiving week. Great trip and a few pics to share:

E3533083-04AB-4FC3-92F1-AB06DEE9C27B_zps0njyccqb.jpg
D0961A4E-7AF7-4327-BB8D-3D252E7BDD16_zpshezms77p.jpg
A461DEC0-571A-41ED-8208-C2E997C50E17_zpsn6efhnfi.jpg
FFDDE3F9-B66C-4939-BEB1-01FE1EE0BC57_zpseyuwucp9.jpg

1D678C27-7FCF-4DE3-A852-8E54A6499965_zpsfs3kjcxm.jpg

·
Registered
996 Posts
Question, what part of upstate holds decent deer numbers and some elbow room. I hunted maine for yrs with some success, but the 10 hr drive is tough, I wouldnt mind trying nys for riffle

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question, what part of upstate holds decent deer numbers and some elbow room. I hunted maine for yrs with some success, but the 10 hr drive is tough, I wouldnt mind trying nys for riffle
The Adirondacks are a 4 to 5 hour drive which isn't to bad. Deer numbers are not high. There are areas with pockets of deer while others may be pretty dead. They are there as you can see from my trail cam pics. My club has taken quite a few dressing over 200lbs and there is endless state land to hunt. So much that your biggest problem would be deciding where to start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts