New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm a new hunter looking to get my FPID card. I've done a bunch of research, but found a ton of misinformation and can't really make heads or tails of it all.

My ADD/ADHD diagnosis was a few years ago, and i was only medicated briefly. I haven't been medicated in a year or two, and don't plan on continuing in the future. I consider it cured.
A bunch of people refered to a magic form that I should have my doctor sign to present with my application. Is this real, and if so, where can i find it? The other popular opinion is that since i have had a mental health related diagnosis, I won't be allowed to purchase a gun in the state of New Jersey at all. What do you guys think of this?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Logically we know it shouldn't be an issue, but the government abandoned logic that long ago. Just can't be too sure, especially if it means a possibly denied application and another 6 month wait.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
A close friend of mine, who has a severe case of ADD and ADHD an HAS to be on medication got his card with no problems.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you are worried about it, and don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with a denied application (if it comes to that) then you should talk to a lawyer that deals with issues like this and see what he thinks. At least he can give you real legal advice.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Look! A squirrel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to be able to submit extra paperwork that confirms that the condition has been dealt with. If I can't figure out what to submit, that's my next best option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess in the grand scheme of things, you're right. I'd take my chances owning guns without my card for that price though. It's still within my legal right to own without it, so i think I'll just go ahead and exercise that right!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd like to be able to submit extra paperwork that confirms that the condition has been dealt with. If I can't figure out what to submit, that's my next best option.
Why? Is this listed as some sort of mental defect that required hospitalization? Were you hospitalized? Don't over complicate this. Read the forms and answer the questions, don't do any more than that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I guess in the grand scheme of things, you're right. I'd take my chances owning guns without my card for that price though. It's still within my legal right to own without it, so i think I'll just go ahead and exercise that right!
What do you mean your right to legally own without an FID? Are you referring to guns you already owned before you moved here or before the FID law came into effect? Because IFAIK those are the only two possibilities for owning without an FID. You certainly won't be able to buy in NJ and if you buy out of state and bring it into the state without FID or FFL transfer you are breaking a law that can get you hard time. Not sure I'd take that chance.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Be honest and you should be fine. But drop the I don't care I'll do it anyway crap, it'll just get you in trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks A&N, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did you submit anything else besides a thorough explanation to the question on the application?

To everyone suggesting I don't over complicate things, the post 51smd mentioned is the reason why I even stopped to consider that ADHD might be an issue. Various people claimed they were denied for their card because of this on outside sites.

I requested my medical records from the healthcare provider, I'll use that to make sure I get my dates and information correct.

Jimmy, it would obviously be a risk, but it would be a calculated one. And if you really think about it, it's not a terrible option. Owning a gun is self defense for me. I'm a crossbow hunter, so the gun stays in my home. There's very little risk of even having law enforcement know about it. And if it's technically legal, it's an option worth considering if all else fails.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also have ADHD and take medicine daily. It's bad enough that i used to see a therapist when i was a kid. I reported it on my FID application and i didn't have any issue getting mine. Just answer truthfully would be my advice.

Reactions: JohnnyBGoode
1 - 20 of 36 Posts