New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My cousin complained the crop last year was terrible. If thats how you approach how you hunt, than its a good thing to look into. I usually hunt by standing corn so I dont pay too much attention to the acorns.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
My cousin complained the crop last year was terrible
It absoltuely was. More importatantly, areas of the woods that were litered with deer the previous year when the crop was good, were almost devoid of activity when it was bad.

Piont being...yes, the acorn crop is unquestionably a huge factor in determining deer movement in many parts of NJ.

JC

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Deer will prefer the white oak acorn over the red. White oak acorns are lower in tannic acid, and are considerably sweeter than the red. Where I live, the red oak trees outnumber the white oaks about 4 to 1. If you can locate a white oak (or group of them) that's dropping acorns, that's probably the place to be. As acorn crops go, so the deer movmement goes....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I know deer usually will abandon everything for white oaks, so should probably start scouting for them in the areas I plan on hunting.

Acorns produce every 2 years, something i didn't know, so this year my well be dictated by the acorn crop.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
More importatantly, areas of the woods that were litered with deer the previous year when the crop was good, were almost devoid of activity when it was bad.

Piont being...yes, the acorn crop is unquestionably a huge factor in determining deer movement in many parts of NJ.
i agree
this year i have a feeling ,i might have to wear the umbrella hat again ,should be a good one for the acorns[up]

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Speaking of acorns as free bait. I had a situation years ago I wish I could find again today. A new development was being put in an area that was an oak flat. Every house in the new development had a basement poured well before being framed. All the oaks in the area rained acorns into the basements and the contractors were pissed, I went around and shoveled them into trash cans, the contractors started doing the same thing so I would come in with a bunch of boxes and fill them with acorns. I probably had over 1000 lbs of acorns at one point. They worked great as bait.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
hardly any acorns by me last season, the deer were really skinny earlier this spring because of it, ive also noticed im seeing less fawns this yr, and when i do see a doe with fawns, it usually only has one fawn

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The acorn crop near me was horrible last year. Almost non existent. However, just last Monday I trimmed some branches at my in-law's house as they were leaning over the deck and some too close to the house. I must have felled 10-15 decent sized branches in lengths of 8-15ft each. All of them were loaded with acorns. And also last week I was on a few morning walks and noticed a few streets had lots of crushed acorns under some oaks that lined the streets.

Not sure if this is connected in any way, but several months ago some weather guy forecasted a cooler than normal summer for the northeast. So far he's been right. And I heard someone mention at a picnic that she heard this winter is expected to be one of the worst in recent years....cold, snow storms, etc. Maybe it is all making sense...cool summer, tons of acorns thus far and who knows what's next?????

·
Registered
831 Posts
Whats the best way to tell the difference between a red oak and a white oak? Also do you think trees dropping oaks this early will cause a problem come hunting season if trees are holding very few acorns?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Whats the best way to tell the difference between a red oak and a white oak? Also do you think trees dropping oaks this early will cause a problem come hunting season if trees are holding very few acorns?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
round leaves ,and spike leaves ,round leaf tips=white
spike leafs red

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
dam i cant type that fast lol what he said

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Whats the best way to tell the difference between a red oak and a white oak?
White oak acorns are really large and red oak are small. Also the white oak's leaves are rounded while the red are pointed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.