New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife fowarded me a newsletter from Glenwild Nursery in Bloomingdale. It states the obvious but I thought I would share it anyway:

"The Acorn Effect
Every few years, oak trees have a year when the acorns are nearly non-existent. This is one! For the last couple of years, they have been truly abundant, which means the animals that eat them for winter survival were fat and happy. (I'm guessing on the happy part). The fact that those animals will be hungry now, will impact us all. The two that come to mind right away are the deer and the bears. In the past month or so, have you noticed the deer eating things they ignored all summer? I certainly have! As early as mid-September, when they normally can depend upon a good acorn supply, they came to eat my annual vinca, normally deer-resistant. It may have been the fawns that don't know any better, but they are still hungry! The deer will just get hungrier as the season goes on. They'll start on evergreen plants next. Unless you know for sure that a certain plant is absolutely deer proof, (see that link above), I would spray Liquid Fence (or any deer-repellent of your choice) on anything you care about throughout the winter. The bears of course are a different story. When they get really hungry, their next food of choice is your garbage. They will be more intent on getting into it this winter, so batten down the hatches. The screw top Bear-Lock cans we sell have worked wonders for many people. I've had one for at least 5 years and have never had to pick up garbage on the road since then. And THAT makes me very happy."

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
The state biologists are thinking our bears will den early this year due to a lack of mast crop which doesn't bode well for 6 Day this year. But the warmer weather we've had of late should counter that to some extent so long as we don't get a sudden cold snap between now and Opening Day. The deer will punish any and all plants this winter, that much is for certain. They seem to have eaten all the fallen leaves and buds from the large branches that came crashing down in that freak snow storm a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
last night i hear something outside my house, so i keep an ear open, in case it was a suspicious individual. This is at 3am. A minute later i hear a can fall and deer snorting all over the place. haha. Deer in my garbage! I started to chuckle. I dont have any bears by me (at least not often) so now i got to get deer proof garbage cans.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I take my dogs for a late night pee about 11 everyday. Every night for the past few weeks I have found deer nearly against my house working on the landscape.

They are so true about no acorns. Every year I blow all the acorns just in my driveway and save them. I normally get two smaller garbage cans full, about 125lbs. Not a single acorn this year:(

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I noticed that alot this year, and people in Mendham were telling me deer were eating all their shrubs, I explained to them because there were no acorns.

Belive it or not that winter storm was a blessing for the animals. for that week they had more then enough food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts