New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son, Ryan, is turning 10 in September and all he keeps talking about is getting his hunting license in the fall. [up]

I read the fish & game website, and I just wanted to confirm...It doesn't say anything about having to shoot at targets for a shotgun license. Am I right in thinking that he will not have to shoot? That's different from how it was when I did it. (yeeeeeears ago). I just want to make sure I have him practice what he'll need to do.

Related to that, can anyone recommend a good shotgun & gauge for youth? Ryan is a tall beanpole, and doesn't have any heft to him. All I have is an 870 12 gauge. ANything big would knock him over. Any recommendations? What should I be looking to spend on a decent used gun? Thank you for any suggestions!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You don't have to shoot to pass the test. Can say you weren't comfortable taking the shot, but you don't have to hit them regardless. A 20 guage woukd work well for him. Or get some winlite shells for your 12 for him to practice with. Little kick to them.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
they have shotguns there for the kids to use, he doens thave to hit the targets they just want to see that he understands the safety aspect of it,,

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Yeah they supply guns and ammo at the course. They will have youth 20 gauges for him. First they will set one up on the ground for him to shoot then throw a couple up for him. He doesn't have to hit any just show safe firearm handling.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my son past the test in october.You do have to shoot a firearm,just to prove you can safely handle a gun.My son is also 10 and small framed,the only gun he was able to handle was a410. Good luck,he will do fine.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Make that 870 fit him. Light loads will give less recoil out of a full frame gun. He will thank you for it later in life. The worst thing you can do to a young hunter is give him a 410. How many of you can hit with the small pellet count and full choke. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
They will have shotguns there for your boy to shoot as others said, they want to see safe handling of the firearm. Good luck & have fun hunting with your boy!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would not go with the youth gun, they grow out of it too quick. The standard size 870 in 20 gauge is fine for most kids and they can shoot it forever. Just my 2 cents.

That’s the gun I bought your favorite student of all time and she shoots it well.

I have an H&R 20 with a youth stock and the 870. Bring the boys over and they can shoot them to see how they feel.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Mossberg has a 20 gauge youth combo that includes a field barrel and rifled cantilever scope barrel with scope. I bought my nephew the combo at dicks on sale for $300. For another $50 you get the adult size stock from Mossberg. Can't beat it for the money.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
How does this idea sound?

You bring Mrs. Polarbear and 8 or 9 of your older kids (leave the younger ones with Grandma) and I’ll bring my clan. Your boys can try the different 20 gauges on clay birds at the Flatbrook range, then we hike Tillman’s Ravine, and we finish the day with you buying me a cold-one at the Wallpack Inn?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You bring Mrs. Polarbear and 8 or 9 of your older kids (leave the younger ones with Grandma) and I’ll bring my clan. Your boys can try the different 20 gauges on clay birds at the Flatbrook range, then we hike Tillman’s Ravine, and we finish the day with you buying me a cold-one at the Wallpack Inn?
You, sir, have yourself a deal. I'll have to see if grandma wants to take all 13 of the younger kids first. I'll get back to you! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I would not go with a youth gun either.

I was in the same position with my son Ryan 3 years ago.

Got him a used 20 ga adult sized. 13.5 inch LOP. It was a bit big first year but is fine now.

If he is just shooting deer. HR 20 slug gun couldn't be better.

During the firearm portion of the test, they check safety. They do not care if you hit the clay. Muzzle control, use of the safety, keeping the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot etc. They made sure he know how to tell if the shell is the correct one. They even handed him a 12 ga shell to try and fool him. Then, they asked him why it was wrong (barrel stamped)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts