New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call/write your Assemblyperson and get this stopped.

Stop ASSEMBLY, No. 3728
STATE OF NEW JERSEY

211th LEGISLATURE
INTRODUCED JANUARY 13, 2005

Sponsored by:
Assemblywoman LORETTA WEINBERG
District 37 (Bergen)
Assemblyman REED GUSCIORA
District 15 (Mercer)

Co-Sponsored by:

Assemblymen Caraballo and Panter
SYNOPSIS

Provides DEP commissioner with veto authority over all hunts.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As introduced.

(Sponsorship Updated As Of: 2/8/2005)

An Act concerning the Commissioner of Environmental Protection and hunting, and amending P.L.1948, c.448.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. Section 30 of P.L.1948, c.448 (C.13:1B-30) is amended to read as follows;

30. a. For the purpose of providing an adequate and flexible system of protection, propagation, increase, control and conservation of fresh water fish, game birds, game animals, and fur-bearing animals in this State, and for their use and development for public recreation and food supply, the council is hereby authorized and empowered to determine under what circumstances, when and in what localities, by what means and in what amounts and numbers such fresh water fish, game birds, game animals, and fur-bearing animals, or any of them, may be pursued, taken, killed, or had in possession so as to maintain an adequate and proper supply thereof, and may, after first having determined the need for such action on the basis of scientific investigation and research, adopt and from time to time amend and repeal such appropriate and reasonable regulations concerning the same, or any of them, penalties for the violation of which are prescribed by certain of the sections of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes amended herein, as it deems necessary to preserve, properly utilize or maintain the best relative number of any species or variety thereof, at the times, in the manner and to the extent hereinafter provided. The regulations so established shall be called the State Fish and Game Code.

b. Any regulation adopted by the council establishing any hunting season or otherwise authorizing the taking of game birds, game animals, and fur-bearing animals shall be subject to the approval of the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection.

(cf: P.L.1948, c.448, s.32)

2. This act shall take effect immediately.

STATEMENT

This bill would provide that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection shall have veto authority over any type of hunting season or authorized taking of game birds, game animals, and fur-bearing animals adopted by the State Fish and Game Council.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
We should make an effort to get Assemblyman REED GUSCIORA voted out of office the next time he is up for re-election. He has been the sponser of the most anit-hunting, anti-science based wildlife mgmt, most animal rights friendly legislation that I am aware of. He is just plain bad news to the NJ outdoors..

·
3,413 Posts
We should make an effort to get Assemblyman REED GUSCIORA voted out of office the next time he is up for re-election. He has been the sponser of the most anit-hunting, anti-science based wildlife mgmt, most animal rights friendly legislation that I am aware of. He is just plain bad news to the NJ outdoors
That would be this November. Dist 12 (Trenton)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'll bet the USSA will be on this in a flash. I hope all you NJ hunters are members. They go to bat for us ALL THE TIME!

·
11,226 Posts
Responses..
Thank you for your letter urging my opposition of the referenced legislative
proposal. I do not plan to support this legislation because I believe the
Fish and Game Council has done a commendable job and does not need
over-sight from a politically motivated DEP Commissioner. Once again, thank
you for writing to share your views. Sincerely, Richard A. Merkt Assemblyman
- District 25

Dear Mr. Sammon,

Thank you very much for your email regarding A3728, which would give the DEP
Commissioner veto power over all hunts in the state. I appreciate you
sharing your views with me. Please rest assured that I am against this
measure although there is currently no Senate counterpart to this
legislation, and such, I may not have a chance to vote on it. I am the prime
sponsor of S2148 which clarifies that Fish and Game Council has sole
authority to regulate freshwater fishing, hunting, and trapping. S2148 is
essentially a reaction to the court decision in the recent year regarding
the bear hunt, and is basically the opposite of A3728.

Once again, thank you for your email and I look forward to hearing from you
again.

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Bucco
Senator, 25th District

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
hate to tell ya, but the State Supreme Court [down] in their ruling on te bear hunt, effectively said that he could ALREADY do this under current interpretation of the law...

he's a Czar[mad] the way they see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts