New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up at 2:30, on the road at 3:30. I Parked at 5:30. It was a shade late because I could see. I blew some locater calls - no response. Then I blew some in the birches- again no response. Since my brother shot a bird last week I decided to set up in a point of trees out in a field. I put out one lone hen decoy. At 6:00 I started to tree yelp. 6:10 2 coyotes ran across the field towards my decoy, but veered off at the last second and trotted off into the woods. I began to do some tree yelps followed by a fly-down cackle. I was answered by a hen off to my left, then another. I began to cut them off. Every time they called, I interrupted them. This went on for about 15 minutes, and then I didn’t hear them anymore.

At. 7:00 I cut, and cackled. All of a sudden I heard a cackle off to my left, and when I looked over through a bush, I saw 2 hens 60yds away. They were just walking along feeding. Suddenly 1 looked my way, and spotted the decoy. They came right in. The 2 of them walked around my decoy that was 10yds away. I didn’t call because I didn’t want to spook them, plus if a tom came out into the field, he would probably see them. They eventually got tired of the decoy not moving, and walked off towards the golden grass below me.

7:20 and they were about 100yds away, so I started calling again. I did some cuts, and cackles. I was double calling with a box, and diaphragm, when up out of the corner came a turkey. It cackled as soon as it entered the field, and I thought I saw a red and white head. It was staring right at my location. It started my way as I was calling, but then saw the hens in the field, and walked off over towards them. I kept calling but the birds walked off.
At 8:00 I was wondering what had happened to the birds, so I peeked over the bush where I was seated and looked off over in the direction of where the birds went. I saw 2 hens walking, and then I saw a tom in full strut. They were 100yds away off to my right. I resumed calling, and each time the tom went into his strut. As I looked at the birds, I could see 5 hens, and 4 toms. Only 1 was strutting, but I could clearly see 4 red and white heads. The flock began to walk away from me, continuing their line of travel up the middle of the field. I circled around in front of them and began to call the hens. I was cackling and cutting. This really annoyed the boss hen because she started clucking and started my way. When she was about 60yds away, I lay down in some rocks and was prepared to wait it out. The boss gobbler was 80yds away, but coming. All of a sudden I saw one tom crane his neck, and look to his right. He was looking up towards the property owner’s house. Then some more did that as well. I looked to my right and saw the car pulling out of the driveway. The birds took off running the way they had come. I was formulating a plan about how to go after them when I caught movement out in front of me. It was 2 hens about 80yds away. Then I see a tom running after them. I quick cut and he stopped and broke into a strut. I kept calling, but he continued after the 2 hens that were about 20yds in front of him. They stopped in the corner of the field 300yds below me. I kept calling, but he stayed with them.

It was now 9:00, and I decided to move on them. I walked through the hedgerow and circled around. I went to the corner of the field, and checked to see where they were. They were about 100yds away, and seemed to be angling off. I called and he boomed back and went into a strut. I called again, he answered again. But now I saw that the hens had turned around and were leading him back the way they had come. I got back on the game trail below the top of the hill, and started off in their direction in a race to see who would reach the woods first. I went about 100yds, and snuck a peek over the top of the hill. I couldn’t see them because of a small rise, so I called. He boomed back from about 100yds. I clambered down the hill again and redoubled my efforts. I knew where they were going to exit the field; I only hoped I could beat them there. When I had gone about another 75yds I climbed the hill again and snuck another peek. As I was standing there in a blow-down I heard a cackle from inside the woods off to my left. This was followed by a thunderous gobble. They had beaten me there. I started purring and yelping and the hen cackled and the tom thundered. This went on for 45 nerve racking minutes. Finally I decided to give the birds the silent treatment. There was silence. After 10 minutes I let out a single cluck and 3 gobbles boomed back real close. I realized that they were back in the field. I slowly stood up and hid behind a large pine tree. When I looked out into the field- there they were: 10 birds- 5 toms, and 5 hens 40yds away. I clucked and 2 toms gobbled. One went into strut, and when another tried, the strutting tom broke strut and gobbled right at him. The subordinate tom broke strut. I picked up the gun and couldn’t get a shot at the dominant tom because a bush was in the way. I couldn’t get a shot at the second tom that tried to strut because a bush was in the way of him as well. There were 2 other toms between these two. As I was waiting for the dominant tom to clear the bush, a jake and a hen were coming right at me. The hen had heard me cluck, and was coming to investigate. They would bust me soon. As they were approaching my position quickly, I heard another gobble off to my right in the field. When they reached 25yds, I aimed at one of the 2 toms that presented a shot, and the Mossberg barked. The tom toppled over. One of the toms hung around for 5 minutes looking at his buddy, but eventually walked off.

When I walked over to collect the bird, and saw that it was a jake, initially I was bummed that I couldn’t get a shot at the dominant bird. But then I thought about how fortunate I was for my plan to have worked, and how special he was because of the hard work and perseverance that went into tagging him.
:D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Awesome! But how many times do I have to tell you! Sit at the well and the birds will come. If not, Hit the edge of the field above the apple trees and hold tight. Six toms have been tagged this way.
Great story and great hunt Conan. I guess I'll have to buy my PA lic. and show you how it's done[rofl]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Death From Above: That's exactly where I shot them. Right at the well. After I bagged him I looked around in there. There is a great pine tree flat in there before it drops off downhill. Yesterday (the day I hunted) only hens came out above the apple tree(that's where I was). My brother got a bird last Tuesday by where you have the old bow stand below Mary's field.

I'm going to tell Wiz to sit by the well. The birds are still roosting below the microwave tower, but they're just not gobbling there this year. I set up there opening day, and had some birds fly down, but they were hens.

Be well:D

·
Registered
16,894 Posts
Congrats!![up] Enjoyed reading your story. :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Death from Above:
7:05 today Wiz pulled the trigger. He got a long beard. It came in with 2 hens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats to Conan, Wiz and Willow! Yep the well is the spot to harvest birds from..... Just sit and wait and have someone like Death from above call birds from the house down so I can shoot them.... Haha just a load of fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.