New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I didn't kill anything . . .

Started off getting into lock on's with High Guy as my cameraman around 2:15 and as we were filming an intro, we had a small 6pt walk in on us. Well, although he was pretty, he was also very dumb, making him pretty dumb. He hung around for about 45 minutes and I managed to finish getting set up, put on my face mask, glove, pull out my release and get situated, all without spooking him.

Well, not 15 minutes after he departed a 7 pt started working his way in, followed by an 8 pt and a 3 pt. They all gave me an opportunity for a shot ample times, but none were as nice or nicer than what I've shot in the past, so even though I haven't taken a buck this year, they all got a pass. At least 2 of them will be great bucks next year if they make it through and perhaps I'll still get an opportunity at a quality buck that somebody else passed up on last year.

Well, with about 15 minutes of shooting light left, a spike paid us a visit also. He was the most cautious of all 5 bucks we had under us this afternoon, half-circling us and casting to try to get our wind, but he never did.

What an awesome afternnon in the woods and successful in my book too !!!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are a head hunter now??
Uhhh, if that's what you want to call it ;)
I know what the properties I am hunting hold and for meat, I'll just take a doe, or 2 or 3 :D :D :D

Sounds to me your buck -doe ratio in that area is off a little???
I don't know about that Piney, walking in yesterday, I kicked up a really nice quality buck chasing a doe, then a little later on, the 7 from today came in, but even later had 2 mature does and 3 fawns come in.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruger, High Guy is converting the footage from Hi-Def for me so hopefully I'll be able to do a quick edit on it over the week-end sometime.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Awesome! It was a beautiful afternoon for sure. I haven't been out in so long.. but I'm off Sat-Tues and it's strictly hunting time.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
That is the kind of success that measures what bowhuting is all aout. It looked like a beautiful afternoon. I stayed in with a lousy start to what I hope to be a short cold... :(

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I always say the does nose knows. Poor prett dumb buck. Good story and hunt!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts