New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i mistaken, or does federal law require a state to provide a firearms id card within 30 days? a friend of mine applied for one and was told the wait is about six months. it doesnt seem right to me

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yup...It can take up to 6 months,but usually they come within 3 months.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
STATE law, not Federal. Look under the Firearms ID card posts.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Here is the state law:

N.J. S 2C:58-3(f)

Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal;
revocation.
The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a
fee of
$2.00, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification
card
together with a fee of $5.00, shall be delivered or forwarded to the
licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good
cause
for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the
identification card, or both, if application has been made therefore,
within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for
residents of
this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to
purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date
of
issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for
an
additional 90 days. A firearms purchaser identification card shall be
valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the
disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the
card
shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to
the
superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure
of
the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the
superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under
section
2C:39-10a. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by
the
Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing
upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies
for
the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the
chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to
such
court at any time for the revocation of such card.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
FYI here is the letter I wrote my local Police Chief when I got the runaround. I had my card within a week after faxing this letter to him.

Dear Chief;

I am writing to see if you can help me ascertain the
status of my application for transfer of a New Jersey Firearms ID card.

Ten weeks ago I dropped off my Firearms ID card and
the appropriate paperwork given to me by the Fanwood
Police Dept. so that I could transfer the card to
reflect my current address here in town.

As a bit of background, the card was originally issued circa 1989 here in (TOWN), and when I moved to (NEIGHBORING TOWN) a few years back I had the card reissued by the (NEIGHBORING TOWN)Police Dept. Now that I've bought a home in town, I have attempted to move the card again.

I have been calling police headquarters and checking
about once a week since the third week after I dropped off the paperwork. (It took (NEIGHBORING TOWN) about that long to issue a card when I lived there.)

I have been told "you're dealing with the state
police, it can take forever", and I've also been told just this past week "we sent it over to (NEIGHBORING TOWN) on Sept. 20th, and We don't have it back yet."

This concerns me greatly. State law (N.J. S 2C:58-3(f)) provides a 30 day period for issuance of the card. If the last response I received is correct,
it would appear that no processing was even begun on
the the paperwork for over 30 days.

Normally I'd be understanding of the fact that we're a small town, and I'd wait. (Frankly, I'd also rather see the police out patrolling than sitting in an office doing paperwork.) However, we're now into
November, which is hunting season, and I hunt.

While the laws in New Jersey do provide that I don't
need a Firearms ID card while going hunting, my
experience has been that many law enforcement officers (including my own brother) don't know that, or will take the more cautious approach and detain someone they encounter with a gun and no FID. Further, if I need the services of a gunsmith, or wish to take advantage of a seasonal sale, I can't do so without my card.

I hope you can appreciate the position I'm in now that we're into November; if you can give me any more definitive of an answer on the status of my card, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening!

Very truly yours,

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Court cases have upheld (Somerset Cty case being one of the last)that unless the required investigation is completed, the 30 days is out. In other words, if the prints don't come back from either the state or the Feds, or if your own references don't return the letters etc., the issuing authority can not be held to the 30 days.

This I am sure of as I sign these things every week.
And I have seen them get finished within the 30 days but avg is about 6 weeks. ;)

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Barring your references sitting on their arses, there is NO excuse not to get it in 30 days. There may be a reason (State PD can't be bothered, local PD is backed up doing traffic control, etc.) but ther is no excuse--under the law.

BTW, you can get fingerprints checked in under an hour. I know from experience--before I retired from the reserves I worked in Naval Intelligence, and had to update my clearance paperwork every 3 years. We requested fingerprints while I did my 2 weeks active duty. FBI confirmed them within the hour. A NJSP request would be treated with a level of urgency that would easily be under 720 times that standard (30 days X 24 hours).

He who bitcheth, geteth service.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Also, as an aside: I grew up in Secaucus, which was probably the most insular town north of Rt. 78 when I was a kid. We were the last green space, white, blue collar town in Hudson County.

When the PD knew you, you were home free if you were a good guy, or hounded into leaving town if you were a problem child.

My brother's best friend used to get PISTOL permits in 1 hour. Known guy, call in for the prints and records check and they come back from NJSP within the hour.

Sorry, TLC, the the "six week average" is due to cops not moving the paperwork across their desks quickly.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Sorry, TLC, the the "six week average" is due to cops not moving the paperwork across their desks quickly.
BTW, you can get fingerprints checked in under an hour.
It's TJC and your are wrong on both counts. I'm not going to tell you that some PD's and Chiefs don't sit around and place less importance on getting them done. It happens.
BUT, we can not get the fingerprints back any faster than they will do them. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
And, under the law, the invest HAS to be completed BEFORE any ID card or Pistol Permit is issued. They have changed the system within the last 24 months in regards to towns that used to make people get refingerprinted every time they applied for something. That is no longer done and WAS abused by some agencies.

My dept goes to no end to get people printed that need to be, paperwork sent out and items issued asap. The 30 days on an initial is not usually possible.
On a reissue, no problem. BUT, as I said it can be held up by the people you put down as a reference. without those letters which are part of the invest, they don't get issued. And no, we don't sit there calling the references every 2 days to find out where the responses are. You don't know how many times people like you call up bitching about where their card is. We pull the file and it is a wonderful feeling to call you back and say, "Mr So and So never sent the ref letter back. You better call them". Then we find out, "Oh I was on Vac or I forgot, it's on my desk". That's not the PD's fault.:p

G

·
It's both the FEDS & STATE POLICE that take there sweet A** times on the prints, thats what takes the time, and yes prints can be checked in less then 1 hour, but these to groups choose to sit on it[down]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Oh, I do know!

thats why the FBI used to knock on my neighbor's doors at 7:00 AM or 10:00 PM to do reference checks for a security clearance..they wanted to be SURE someone was home.

If I show up at Police HQ, get printed, my references are available and reply, then the RULE OF LAW is 30 days.

All in, I think we're saying the same thing: If I do my part to get all the paperwork done, the local municapality has NO right to sit on the paper, the MUST comply with the law.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Bowhunter Cop nailed it. Sadly, you have to pressure the locals using the law, so that they pressure the NJSP to follow through.

Can you imagine a traffic stop on the Turnpike with the dispatcher telling the trooper "Hang on, we'll have those plates run in the next 4 to 6 weeks.???[confused]

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Become a resident of Rhode Island where you ony need a drivers license to buy a shotgun or rifle. If you want a handgun then you have to sit through a lecture.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Correct ..... 30 days is the law

Correct ..... with some police departments, they do
as they please, and you have to call
them on it, that's what I had to do;
what makes me angry is how a police
chief feels that he can do this if he
wants

I just copied this from the Randolf Police Department web site, instructing on applying for an ID card ....

Applicants should anticipate the process taking approximately twelve to fourteen weeks. Incomplete or missing information may delay the process, as will the failure of your references to respond in a timely manner.

http://www.randolphnj.org/police/firearms_purchases/

Jim

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Wanna have some fun?

Copy the text into an email to the Attorney General of NJ and the Morris County Prosecutor's Office and ask them why the Randolph PD has taken it upon themselves to re-write state law.:D

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Exactly! So call 'em on it...politicians and political appointees HATE when you ask questions about the conduct of someone who works for them.

It makes them..what's that word?...."accountable".

So they turn around and s**t on the guy who works for them that you asked about.

It ain't pretty, but it sure does work. [up]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel that we are missing the forest for the trees. I mean the real problem is the over-bureaucratic and costly law itself requiring prints and references. We shouldn't have to go through this in the first place.

I have a friend who is a district attorney from another state and he said that fingerprinting is cheap and costs maybe a few dollars, not the $50 or so they charge here. In addition, he said that he would want anyone to know if he had a gun and therefore wouldn't register with local police. Of course if you open the Star Ledger and read the crime reports then you'll know that the perpetrators sure as hell didn't go through the process we law-abiders have to go through. This is worth fighting about!

·
Registered
301 Posts
It seems to me that Jersey Bob may have a grudge against police. There are several steps involved in the permit application process. First, the applicant signs a release for a mental health records check. When that is returned which may be 2 weeks or more, the application with fingerprints are forwarded to the State Bureau of Identification which is run by the NJSP. When that is returned, which can be anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months depending on their workload, the results of their investigation is then submitted to the police chief in the town where the applicant resides and I believe at that time the clock starts to run on issuance. The chief's denial of a permit can be overturned by a Superior Court Judge upon petitiion of the applicant

1 - 20 of 45 Posts