New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on another site by jbc03. I thought it was worth posting here....I always hear there has never been a human death caused by a bear in NJ...

A Look Back: Death of a Teenager
Editor’s Note: In honor of the 250th anniversary of Sussex County, which was established in 1753, The New Jersey Herald will be printing a historic detail each day through the end of the year.

More than 150 years ago, a teenage boy fell victim to a black bear. Alden S. Rose, 16, who lived with his brother’s family about 15 miles northeast of Newton, was sent to a corn field some distance from the house to retrieve roasting ears. However, when the youth did not return in as timely a fashion as expected, the family became uneasy. His brother and sister-in-law mounted horses at the end of the day and went in the same direction the youth had gone.

Upon arriving at the field, they found a portion of the corn considerably broken and trampled down. While examining the trampled area of the field, a large black bear suddenly emerged from an adjoining thicket and headed straight for the couple.

The woman’s horse was frightened by the fast-approaching black bear and bucked its rider off. However, her husband managed to pull the woman onto his horse and they rode away from the area.

Several neighbors gathered together the next morning and went out to the same field. There, they found the remains of Alden S. Rose, who was partially eaten by the bear.

A hunting party was organized, but the aggressive bear was not found.

Source: The New Jersey Herald, Sept. 11, 1852, edition.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love throwing this story in the anti's face when they say "There has NEVER been a report of a bear killing a person in NJ" I just used it on the NJ.com boards.... I don't think the anti's can blame this one on garbage control either!!!;)

B

·
0 Posts
But Stu and Linda assured all of us that bears don't kill people, and we all know that Stu and Linda are the smartest people on EARTH.....Great Post!!!!![up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
They should have had Bear proof garbage cans back then. If they did thet kid may still be alive (RIGHT LINDA?)166 years old but more then likely in better shape then that Bear left him..

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Wonder how many other stories can be uncovered regarding people who were killed by a black bear in NJ? I bet this isn't the only one. Just hope that we're not going to see one happen in the near future [wallmad]

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think the horrible truth is it is just a matter of time before history repeats itself good point the BEAR group is always saying there has never been a documented case of a bear killing a human in NJ they are a buncha tools maybe they should try to help out humans instead of just themselves.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Just hope that we're not going to see one happen in the near future
It is unfortunate, but the clock is winding down and it really only is a matter of time until we do see it happen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
qoute I think the horrible truth is it is just a matter of time before history repeats itself.

your right it's only a matter of time befor someone is killed! The bear's have no fear of humans in this area! How many home breakin by bears this past year?

Some kid is going to be sitting on his swing set eating a jelly dougnut and the bear is going to think he is a big dougnut and take him!!!

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
A hunting party was organized, but the aggressive bear was not found.
The only difference is that today a 'hunting party' would not be organized... F&G would set a barrel trap, and some anti would pour urine in it and say 'leave the bear alone'.
If a hunting party were to be sent out, they could come back with 100 bears, and we'd still have a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts