New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Hunter friends,

Hunting is a dream. US give me the chance to bring it to truth.

Finally I put hunting plan into action. I am planning getting licence this coming March. I am very exciting but also upset. I read a lot hunting safety article and video even I don't have a licence.

Maybe my question looks very stupid, but I really need help to understand the hunting rule. And make sure me and people around me are safe.

I am planning to go with bow firstly. Cause archery is one of my hobbies.

And as I know in NJ. Bow hunter don't have to wear blaze orange when hunting. And usually hunters will wear camouflage for a deer hunt because animal will hard to see you.

So QUESTION, when deer barely can see you. Other hunter also have a chance can not see you. Is that mean you are VERY DANGEROUS when you are ground hunting(Or on your way to the treestand) and WEAR CAMOUFLAGE?

Should I wear some blaze orange stuff? But deer will see you also.

I currently live in the Jersey City. I am very happy to join if you have a plan this year and willing to teach me something.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I would go online and order a deer costume. Don't wear it walking in, for walking to your set, all blaze orange with a bull horn shouting I hunter, no choot! When you get to your set, then put deer costume on and begin your hunt. No need for spray or any cover scent at this point, deer will think you are one of them in stand, yes deer climb trees. All the best and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
First of all welcome to bow hunting. Even though you don't have your license yet, hopefully you'll get it after you take the test.

I've never had a problem with wearing just camouflage while bow hunting during the archery season in terms of having an issue with another bow hunter. I hunt from a tree stand. And since deer can't climb trees, I won't be in danger of getting an arrow in my direction if I stay in a tree 15 feet or higher.

The only time I had a problem during the archery deer season was when I was hunting public land. A small game hunter was hunting squirrels with his shotgun. He was aiming up in the trees and I just softly told him I was deer hunting. Just so that I wouldn't scare him.

I was kind of surprised because I was deeper in a swamp. But that situation turned out fine because I saw him first since by law he had to have orange on while hunting with a firearm.

You will be fine so don't worry. However, if you're bow hunting during a firearm season, I wear an orange knit cap or hat so that I can be seen. Nothing crazy but just so that you can be seen by others so they do not shoot in your direction.

Good luck! And I hope that helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Erick23! Have you ever done ground bow hunting in NJ before? I saw some video but they are not in NJ.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ignore the douche's and the guy who said he's been shot at cause he's full of it!

Deer are color blind so they can't see orange. Camo isn't exactly needed to shoot deer it's mostly about movement. Camo does help though or any type clothing with a pattern to break up your outline so if a deer does look up at you it won't see a outline of a human as easy. If you're nervous of other hunters not seeing you wear a orange hat or vest and being you don't need orange on by law while bowhunting you can wear the orange that has some camo pattern to break up the solid color.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hunting on the ground without a tent blind is fun and very challenging but if you're just starting out stick to a blind or a treestand and get a few deer under your belt. You'll learn how and when you can move, you'll also learn deer behavior better watching from a tree. Deer have a knack for picking out things in their environment that wasn't there earlier even with camo or some cover around you, specially eye level and add any movement to that and all you'll see is the white flag. So if you want to use a ground tent blind you should set it up a week or two before you plan to hunt it so they become accustomed to it unless you find a place to set it up and brush it in like nothing in the environment has changed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Youll be fine. I learnt from this site that there are far many dicks trolling around than a real hunters. I would search for plenty story and tips posted by stevo and few other good guys that are willing to share their xp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
feel free to pm, I don't have a lot of seasons on me but I have learned some stuff with the right people... anytime. Good luck

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
You and JoeHaHa will be fine plus when I take hunting class you can ask the p instructors all those questions u have

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Easy fellas............ I had my doubts on this one too [hihi]

Richard when you get your license in March come PM me. I will find you a mentor in your area to help you get started.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts